New 3/27 iOS Update Allowing Age Visibility for members

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
JF17197

New 3/27 iOS Update Allowing Age Visibility for members

Post by JF17197 »

It appears as though the 3/27 iOS update to LDS Tools may be allowing general members to view member information not previously available. Information such as age and birthday. Based on the release notes, recent functionality enhancements included "Added access to additional membership information and reports for ward council members and their counselors and secretaries."

Is anyone else seeing potential issues with members seeing this enhanced information while not having a calling as a ward council member, counselor and/or secretary role?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New 3/27 iOS Update Allowing Age Visibility for members

Post by russellhltn »

I'm hoping that's just a unfortunate wording. In talking with people, I've gotten the impression that it's the API that decides what's view-able to a given individual, not the LDS Tools program. LDS Tools just displays what it's been handed. (Which makes sense. Would you want the general membership to have that data on their device even if LDS Tools doesn't display it?)

So from a developer point of view, that statement may be accurate. (If I have it, I show it.) But hopefully it's not the case from the end user point of view. I'm pretty sure fur will fly if it's found that all members can see ages and birth dates of everyone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

JF17197 wrote: "Added access to additional membership information and reports for ward council members and their counselors and secretaries."
The way I parse that statement is that the additional information is available to ward council members, their counselors and secretaries not that general members will see additional information. That would be in line with what is available to those members from LCR.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The additional information is only available to ward council members and their presidencies. It is not available for members who do not have one of the specified callings. (If it is visible to someone without the correct calling, that would be a bug.)

See the LDS Tools FAQ on Help Center.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It should be read as:
"Added access
to additional [membership information and reports]
for ward council members and their counselors and secretaries."

Not:
"Added access to additional membership
[information and reports]
for ward council members and their counselors and secretaries."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
JF17197

Post by JF17197 »

Agreed. This was simply an opportunity to have clarified wording a bit. We just scrambled and performed some quick testing based on a few "calling" scenarios to ensure we didn't have a problem. The relieving outcome for us was "we don't have a bug". That's all I am concerned with. Haha. Only been in this calling for a couple of weeks. Last thing I need is something like this to happen.

Thanks everyone!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”