Calendar view

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
DanGonzalez

Calendar view

Post by DanGonzalez »

Currently the mobile app mimics the "month" view in desktop devices, which does not show all the events calendared. The "week" view in the desktop does show a greater range of events calendared, is there a way (or plans) to have the mobile app calendar feature show all the events calendar in a specific week (or day).

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar view

Post by aebrown »

DanGonzalez wrote:Currently the mobile app mimics the "month" view in desktop devices, which does not show all the events calendared.
The LDS Tools mobile app shows all the events for calendars that you have subscribed to. If you're not seeing all the events you'd like to, then a simple remedy may well be to subscribe to more of the calendars available to you.
DanGonzalez wrote:The "week" view in the desktop does show a greater range of events calendared...
The Week View will only show more events if you have checked the box by one or more of the locations. In that case, you will also see events (and restrictions) taking place at the selected location, even if they are on private calendars or on calendars you are not subscribed to, including calendars belonging to other wards.

Seeing those extra events might be helpful if you are trying to find an open slot for scheduling the building, but since you can't create events using LDS Tools, that seems like something you'd want to do on the Calendar in a browser anyway.
DanGonzalez wrote:...is there a way (or plans) to have the mobile app calendar feature show all the events calendar in a specific week (or day).
As I explained above, the most you can see in LDS Tools is all the events on all the calendars that you are eligible to subscribe to.

As for plans for any adjustments in this area, I haven't heard of any, but you're certainly welcome to use the Send Feedback option from within the LDS Tools app to provide your suggestions.

Personally, I think the LDS Tools calendar shows me exactly what I want to see in the vast majority of cases. If I had to wade through all the events and restrictions for other wards and calendars I'm not at all interested in, I would find that very annoying and a huge step backward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DanGonzalez wrote:The "week" view in the desktop does show a greater range of events calendared
Week View can expose all events taking place at a specific location - regardless of what unit is involved. I have not heard of any plans to make that available outside of lds.org.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
karastucki

Post by karastucki »

I am not sure if my issue is related, but I thought that I would start here.
On the mobile app (for iphone or android) we are not seeing events at any locations if the location is the only calendar that is checked. I have deselected every calendar and only selected a specific location. For each building in our stake, the results are no events, even though that is not true.

Is this a bug? Or is this working as designed? If it is working as designed, then the location calendars should be removed from the mobile app, since they don't provide the expected results.

(and subscribing to more calendars won't work if we want to see events created by another ward.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

karastucki wrote:On the mobile app (for iphone or android) we are not seeing events at any locations if the location is the only calendar that is checked.
I have the Android version of LDS Tools, and I don't understand what you mean by "the location is the only calendar that is checked." In LDS Tools, I see no calendar for a location; I see only the Churchwide Events calendar, several stake calendars, and several ward calendars.

Are you by chance a building scheduler? I was under the impression that only a building scheduler has access to put events on a location calendar.

On the web version of the Calendar on LDS.org I can't see any location calendar. I can of course select a location, but that's not a calendar per se, that only lets me see all the events taking place at the selected location.
karastucki wrote:I have deselected every calendar and only selected a specific location. For each building in our stake, the results are no events, even though that is not true.
As far as I know, LDS Tools has no feature for selecting a location (unless that's an iOS feature not available on Android, or is unique to building schedulers).
karastucki wrote:Is this a bug? Or is this working as designed? If it is working as designed, then the location calendars should be removed from the mobile app, since they don't provide the expected results.
I don't see any bug, but I can't see the location calendars that you apparently are seeing in the LDS Tools mobile app.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote:
karastucki wrote:On the mobile app (for iphone or android) we are not seeing events at any locations if the location is the only calendar that is checked.
I have the Android version of LDS Tools, and I don't understand what you mean by "the location is the only calendar that is checked." In LDS Tools, I see no calendar for a location; I see only the Churchwide Events calendar, several stake calendars, and several ward calendars.

Are you by chance a building scheduler?
Welcome to the forum, karastucki! But I also am confused about your post. As a building scheduler, I see just what aebrown sees, and my LDS Tools on my ipad does not list any building options to selet or deselect.

Are you trying to find an open night to schedule something? I think we need to clarify where you see Your problems to know what is happening.
First, I believe you may have browsed to the the website LDS.org calendar "tool" from your mobile device, based on your descriptions. This is sometimes confused with the "mobile app" LDS Tools, which also has the calendar display, but no locations to turn on or off. Because of this, it can only show you events from your subscribed and active calendars, NOT all other events using your building.

A second possibility is that your stake has made "building calendars," as a work-around to allow schedulers to schedule items, before the current calendar gave them that functionality. They could Even be named "stake center building." These may show as a calendar on your LDS Tools, but they would only be calendars, and not actual locations, and certainly would not behave as a location does as you would find on LDS.org Calendar.
Last edited by kisaac on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added welcome!
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
karastucki

Post by karastucki »

You guys answered my questions. Basically the "locations" feature found on lds.org calendars is not available on LDS Tools - Calendar. And it does look like someone from my stake created these extra "building" calendars (but no one appears to use them, so it is quite confusing). But I now see that these are two separate things. Thank you so much.

Too bad LDS Tools doesn't show the locations feature, since people tend to be sitting in a meeting and want to quickly see if/when a particular building might be available.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

karastucki wrote:Too bad LDS Tools doesn't show the locations feature, since people tend to be sitting in a meeting and want to quickly see if/when a particular building might be available.
I wouldn't count it out. While it does not exist now, the Tools are constantly being worked on to provide better data service. It may just take time for this feature to rise to be high enough in priority for development. It has not been that long since the LDS.org Calendar was updated with this change. It just takes a while for things to happen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

karastucki wrote:And it does look like someone from my stake created these extra "building" calendars (but no one appears to use them, so it is quite confusing).
That was just a lucky guess about what you might have been seeing, but I suspect it was very common for stakes to do that in the past. It's likely that the need for those building calendars may not exist any longer and you might suggest to your stake that they review the need for those...

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”