LDS Tools stopped working

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
scoutn

LDS Tools stopped working

Post by scoutn »

I upgraded my LDS Tools app on my IPhone 3s yesterday (7/14/2014) and now it won't come up. I get a blank screen for about a minute and the I'm back to IOS icon screen.
carolynbarber

Re: LDS Tools stopped working

Post by carolynbarber »

I have the same issue, as a result of the download. Now what?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

The latest version of LDS Tools is designed for IOS 6.1 or later. If you are running an earlier version of IOS, this might be why it won't run.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I no longer use an iTouch. When I had one, this was a common occurrence when the app was updated.

My upgrade checklist looked something like this. I would try to restart it several times. I would reboot my device and then try several times to start the app. I would remove the app and reload it. Even then, it sometimes took multiple attempts to get it to start and work. Each time it seemed it got a little farther before it crashed, and after a few tries, it was working again. Sometimes.

And I would always, always send an email to the developers when I had a problem. If I could not get the app working far enough to send the bug report, I would type the address into my email client and send the report.

When the iOS changed and a new version of the app was released, I was usually out of luck. It seems when LDS Tools is revised for a newer iOS, it no longer works well (or at all) with an older iOS. I do not believe that is the fault of LDS Tools. I think it just has to do with how the operating system works.

My stake president had an iPhone with an old iOS and could not use much of LDS Tools at all after one of the upgrades until he bought a new phone a year later. It was a long year, especially for him. He did not need a new phone. The one he had worked perfectly fine. But the iOS had moved on and left him behind. And LDS Tools had moved to the new iOS.
carolynbarber

Post by carolynbarber »

Thanks for all the replies today. I guess my iPhone is just too old, i.e., iPhone 3.
hchick

Post by hchick »

Despite having OS6.1.6 I am having the same issues: a black screen on trying to launch LDS Tools and then a return to the phone's list of app icons. I realise that backwards compatibility is a pain to achieve, but what is particularly frustrating here is that at least those other apps which have now moved beyond my old operating system have left me with a functioning old version of the app instead of overwriting it with something that doesn't do anything.
scoutn

Post by scoutn »

I was able to get it working again. I deleted the non-working app and then installed it again as a new app. It now works.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Biggles wrote:The latest version of LDS Tools is designed for IOS 6.1 or later. If you are running an earlier version of IOS, this might be why it won't run.
Normally the app store won't let you download apps that don't work on your version of iOS – I wonder if the developers forgot to update the minimum iOS version?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”