LDS tools Android production version

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
mkunzler

LDS tools Android production version

Post by mkunzler »

This might not be the forum to post this in. I couldn't find a forum for the LDS tools software.

I would like to see the latest production version of LDS Tools posted on this website somewhere. I have an eReader running on the Android operating system, BUT it cannot access the android market. I can download and install .apk files from a "http://" website, but not a "market:// site". I have downloaded the beta version (pre-release 1.0) from this site, but it is having sync issues, and I would like to try the production version.

Someone was very helpful and posted the .apk of the gospel library production version. Thank you. Please also post the production version (1.02 or newer) as well, Thanks.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

The production version of LDS Tools is posted on the main LDS Tools for Android wiki site at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/LDS_Tools_for_Android. We will work to keep this updated with future releases.
Jason Hyer
jasoraso

Post by jasoraso »

Thanks for pointing out this link. I would just like to echo the request that the apk's continue to made available OUTSIDE the Google Android Market. There are many "grey market" android devices out there (like my B&N Nook Color) and the Market is not always available.
elderlarryhawkes

Post by elderlarryhawkes »

Does anyone know if this app will allow leaders (bishoprics) to see more detailed info like MRN's like they can in the online portal?
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

elderlarryhawkes wrote:Does anyone know if this app will allow leaders (bishoprics) to see more detailed info like MRN's like they can in the online portal?

There is a project, not yet completely defined, to expand LDS Tools into an app to serve leaders, similar to the historical Ward Tools product. Access to the more confidential data elements and functionality would be authenticated and controlled by LDS Account login according to calling. Whether this expanded online API will include the MRN specifically is not yet known. Presumably that would depend on whether the online API is considered sufficiently secure and controlled-- moreso than the MLS export files that recently had the MRN removed.
elderlarryhawkes

Thanks for the reply. I really hope they do that with this app. I guess that the main difference between the app and the online portal for leaders is that the app does a sync and the data is stored on the device and the portal is just an online view only if I understand what I read about the app right.

The other thing they may want to think about if they are trying to get the security of MRN's under control is the fact that you can still print a directory from MLS that includes MRN's. And it's not just paper copies you can print to. You can just as easily print to a PDF file and then put that file on just about anything now days.

At any rate leaders need quick access to all member info without always having to go to the MLS computer at the ward. The leader portal gives you access, but it is definitely not quick especially on Sundays for some reason. The ward MLS computer is heavily used on Sundays too so that tends to create some competition for its use.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

elderlarryhawkes wrote:At any rate leaders need quick access to all member info without always having to go to the MLS computer at the ward.

I'm still puzzled by the keen interest in the MRN. One of the few places I know of where it's needed is for temple recommends. But to do temple recommends also requires the recommend book. It would seem to me that simply putting a list of MRNs in the book and updating it once a quarter would fulfill that need. I personally fail to see the need for MRNs in the leadership's pocket. Name and phone numbers, yes. But not MRNs.

If updating it once a quarter seems too slow, then you might want to review the procedure for renewing recommends for members who have been in the ward for less then a year. I think you'll find that it's not a speedy process - and may require returning to the ward computer for other information that is not normally disseminated beyond MLS.

Because MRNs are the key to the LDS Account, which is ever expanding in what it can access, we need to treat it as sensitive information and not have it were it's not absolutely needed.

What am I missing?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm still puzzled by the keen interest in the MRN. One of the few places I know of where it's needed is for temple recommends. But to do temple recommends also requires the recommend book.
The temple recommend interview usually takes place in a room other than the clerk's office. So I could see how a handheld device could be helpful on occasion for new move-ins (but it's certainly a valid point that members in the ward less than a year need special treatment anyway). And you're certainly right that a printout will work for almost all of the cases (and be faster).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
elderlarryhawkes

RussellHltn wrote: Because MRNs are the key to the LDS Account, which is ever expanding in what it can access, we need to treat it as sensitive information and not have it were it's not absolutely needed.

What am I missing?
"Because MRNs are the key to the LDS Account" With this being mentioned, How do members get their MRN to create an account or reset their account (people even forget there email accounts). this all requires getting with a leader in the ward who has access to MRN's.

There are very few systems that people create an account for requires them to get a piece of information from someone else to create or reset the account. As we encourage members to use the church website on one hand but don't have the information they need at the tips of our fingers when they need it, they just won't bother. Because of this setup, we are their first line helpdesk so to speak. If we have to tell them we will have to get back with them after we get the MRN they need, they will feel they are are just bothering us. If we can help them right on the spot and make them feel glad that they called, they will be more inclined to use the church website as a valuable tool.

In today's world of electronic media, we find it easier and faster to also have this information available on a hand held device even for Temple recommend interviews. It is easier and faster to verify and write the MRN on the recommend from the hand held than looking back and forth between pages in the recommend book or taking the pages out of the book so you can look and write the number to ensure it is accurate. I will agree this can work both ways and there is some personal preference involved, but we prefer and have found a hand held to be easier and faster to be accurate.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

elderlarryhawkes wrote:"Because MRNs are the key to the LDS Account" With this being mentioned, How do members get their MRN to create an account or reset their account (people even forget there email accounts). this all requires getting with a leader in the ward who has access to MRN's.

Not really. Everyone who has a temple recommend has their MRN on their recommend. And every member who attends tithing settlement should have received an Individual Ordinance Summary for review, which also has the MRN on it.
elderlarryhawkes wrote:There are very few systems that people create an account for requires them to get a piece of information from someone else to create or reset the account.

Actually, that's extremely common in the world of employment. Access to internal systems often requires an employee ID of some kind, which is issued by the company to the individual. That is fairly analogous to what the Church does.
elderlarryhawkes wrote:There are very few systems that people create an account for requires them to get a piece of information from someone else to create or reset the account. As we encourage members to use the church website on one hand but don't have the information they need at the tips of our fingers when they need it, they just won't bother. Because of this setup, we are their first line helpdesk so to speak. If we have to tell them we will have to get back with them after we get the MRN they need, they will feel they are are just bothering us. If we can help them right on the spot and make them feel glad that they called, they will be more inclined to use the church website as a valuable tool.

I'll certainly agree with that. Anything we can do to make it easier for people to feel comfortable registering for and using the Church's online systems is a good thing. So providing leaders and clerks with a variety of ways of obtaining the information needed to assist members with this process is indeed helpful.

Of course, that all has to be balanced with the Church's security concerns, as well as its limited development resources.
elderlarryhawkes wrote:In today's world of electronic media, we find it easier and faster to also have this information available on a hand held device even for Temple recommend interviews. It is easier and faster to verify and write the MRN on the recommend from the hand held than looking back and forth between pages in the recommend book or taking the pages out of the book so you can look and write the number to ensure it is accurate. I will agree this can work both ways and there is some personal preference involved, but we prefer and have found a hand held to be easier and faster to be accurate.

There's definitely some preference involved. I guarantee I can write down an MRN faster from a one-page piece of paper than you can look up a member on a handheld and then write down the number. But that assumes that I have the paper and that you have your handheld in hand. As I said before, a variety of ways to get the information is good.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”