Stopped working on Kindle Fire

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Stopped working on Kindle Fire

Post by sbradshaw »

There are several parts of LDS Tools that never worked on the Kindle Fire – for example, anything involving maps – meetinghouses; driving directions; showing ministering assignments on a map, etc. Fire tablets don't support Chromecast or other Google services that Android apps heavily rely on. Fire tablets are also consistently behind the times on the latest Android standards – the most up-to-date Fire tablet, released in October 2017, is running a four-year-old (heavily-customized) version of Android (Fire OS 5, based on Android 5). I don't know why LDS Tools for Kindle was dropped, but I'm sure all of that factored in. Kindle Fire is great as a cheap reading device, but it's not made for doing everything a regular Android device can do.

LDS Tools isn't available for Windows phones either, or for PCs or Macs (personally, I would love to see LDS Tools for Mac!). While less convenient, most of the functionality of LDS Tools is available on LDS.org.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:While less convenient, most of the functionality of LDS Tools is available on LDS.org.
Right now, "most" excludes Ministering. But hopefully, that will change.

With the rise of KaiOS in India (where it's popular for giving web access to cheap "feature phones") things might shift to a more web-centric model. Certainly, a mobile-friendly website would include most everyone. I suspect the issue is secure storage for off-line use.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mspart

Post by mspart »

I have found the same. My fire does not sync since late July. Since this thread is hosted on the lds.org site, I would think we could get an official statement from the church about this. My fire tablet has worked very well in the past. To have it not work all of the sudden with no notice is wrong. LDS.tools works fine but with month old data. I am the Elders Quorum President for my ward and this is not acceptable. Not that I am special, but it seems good courtesy to let people know in advance that an app will no longer work on a given device.
petersenv

Post by petersenv »

My kindle has stopped running for quite sometime. I have a fire and uninstall it but when I do an app search for tools for kindle fire nothing is found. 9/1/2018. Any help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

petersenv wrote:Any help?
At this point, you're out of luck. I don't know if that will change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kathyinezthompson

Post by kathyinezthompson »

This is very annoying and inconvenient.

However, I have downloaded apps from the google playstore on my kindle fire in the past. They work fine... they are all android platforms.

But you have to research a work around that will have you install a program that allows it... it was 4-5 years ago I did it, and now I don't have that kindle fire and don't remember exactly what I had to do. But it will work if you follow the steps.

Good luck!
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Would it work to side-load Lds Tools for Android, somehow, onto the Kindle Fire?
bearheidi

Post by bearheidi »

Is it ever going to work on fire again
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bearheidi wrote:Is it ever going to work on fire again
From the sound of this post, not any time in the near future.

TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TimRiker »

I believe the last firmware released for the Kindle Fire is Fire OS 10.5.1 released in 2012 based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This Android release does not support TLS 1.1 or 1.2 encrypted connections. If there was a version of LDS Tools that would run on this Fire OS release, it would not be able to connect to the Church systems to download content as these systems now require the higher level of encryption.

If Amazon were to upgrade the OS, it would work. If you upgrade to a custom OS version, it might work.

Does lds.org directory work? The lds.org site passes through Akamai who still has TLS 1.0 enabled. They are planning on dropping TLS 1.0 support, but I don't know of a timeline for that. I've not tested that on a Kindle Fire lately.

It's probably time to consider a device upgrade.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”