LDS Tools on Galaxy S4 - Can't Log In

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
johnshaw

Re: LDS Tools on Galaxy S4 - Can't Log In

Post by johnshaw »

beta that doesn't work is 2.4 so you're right... not the beta issue
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
akanotken

Re: LDS Tools on Galaxy S4 - Can't Log In

Post by akanotken »

Might not mean anything, but as I was searching the version number it offered to link me to support site. I followed that hyperlink and my phone balked, the site certificate wasn't matching what was expected.

I went to that site on my pc (actually using a chrome book right now) and it did not squawk.
That site is: https://www.lds.org/help/support/lds-to ... /?lang=eng

I remember getting a problem when I went straight to lds.org some months ago. I was in church looking for some info, I ended up switching to my tablet version and didn't give it a second thought ...

But now I'm wondering if this is the disconnect?

So, if I open a chrome browser on my phone and type in "lds.org" it resolves to http://www.lds.org and it shows a red X just before "https:" (also in red). Highlighting that brings up the following info.
"the identity of this website has not been verified
Servers certificate is not trusted"

There is other verbiage about the certificate info.

Does anyone think that I need to move this certificate into a trusted status within my samsung s4?
akanotken

I've been able to resolve my problem!

Post by akanotken »

My problem is solved: I had a problem with a certificate being deactivated. I activated it and I can now connect successfully. I'm sorry that I don't know which cert it was, I had many that were turned off and I turned them on in groups. And these things have a language all their own! :) I looked for the cert in my phones listings and didn't see it!

For the samsung S4 it was found:
phone settings
security
trusted credentials
system ... gives you a list of certs your have on your phone.
Likely that most android phones would be similar.

At the risk of being embarrassed I'll tell you how this happened to me.

Half year ago I was in an airport, late at night and I was going to sleep there. So I signed on to free wifi. After that, my phone started acting odd ... so I freaked out. I added AVG security, etc. Somewhere along the line I looked at the security settings, found these certificates and the names are ... well they frightened me (thought I was hacked). For instance, there are numerous from other countries, including China!

At that point I turned off any cert that didn't look right to me. Poor decision as apparently we need certs from "america online" .... etc !

Let me summarize for anyone who finds this (and likely is having a connection problem to the lds server).
If you can log into lds.org without your browser warning you, it's likely that you don't have the same problem I had.
If you do get this warning you have messed with your certs, been pranked, handed your phone to one to many toddlers, etc :)
Lastly, I'm no expert on this stuff.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”