Privacy settings in Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
zaneclark

Privacy settings in Tools

Post by zaneclark »

Is there a way to change privacy settings in Tools? The new Directory does not allow anyone but the member to adjust their privacy. I am a clerk and often have requests to change these settings.
eblood66

Re: Privacy settings in Tools

Post by eblood66 »

Yes, just find the household or individual, press on the 'pencil in red circle' icon in the lower right and then select the Privacy tab. At least that's where it is on Android. I expect iOS is very similar.
Nickimball1

Post by Nickimball1 »

This week we had a change where several members have entire wards now show up as private in their tools. Did SLC make a blanket change? Do we all have to go back in and "opt-in" even though our settings are already set to Stake Visibility? I'm curious if other stakes are seeing this same change.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Nickimball1 wrote:This week we had a change where several members have entire wards now show up as private in their tools. Did SLC make a blanket change? Do we all have to go back in and "opt-in" even though our settings are already set to Stake Visibility? I'm curious if other stakes are seeing this same change.
I don't know where in the world you are located, but some countries require an "opt-in" posture where the US is an "Opt-out" posture. If your area saw recent legal changes requiring members to be marked private unless they "opt in," that would explain a blanket change to your stake.

There is also the possibility of an incorrect sync due to server loads on Sundays which prevent the data to come down correctly and then who knows how Member Tools would display the results. I have done a recent sync today (I'm in Oklahoma, USA) and have no problems seeing members in our ward and stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's not in the release notes, but I noticed a recent update to Tools made it clear what information has been tagged "private" so as to caution leadership about giving that information out. That, combined with living in a "opt-in" country like the UK, could cause what you're seeing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jhausen

Post by jhausen »

Nickimball1 wrote:This week we had a change where several members have entire wards now show up as private in their tools. Did SLC make a blanket change? Do we all have to go back in and "opt-in" even though our settings are already set to Stake Visibility? I'm curious if other stakes are seeing this same change.
I live in Texas and we recently noticed the same issue as above except that 20-25% of the ward members had some piece of their information (email typically) become private without the member changing anything. The recent orange notification change has made it more obvious but some members have mentioned that it happened earlier in 2020. Is there a known issue or a known fix?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jhausen wrote:I live in Texas and we recently noticed the same issue as above except that 20-25% of the ward members had some piece of their information (email typically) become private without the member changing anything. The recent orange notification change has made it more obvious but some members have mentioned that it happened earlier in 2020. Is there a known issue or a known fix?
There's been scattered reports in the forum, but nothing really definitive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
broalexander

Post by broalexander »

Since yesterday (04/10/21) I am seeing "Private-Leadership Only" by most of the names when I go to the organization level in tools. Is this a fault with a new download, or has there been a legal change?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

broalexander wrote:Since yesterday (04/10/21) I am seeing "Private-Leadership Only" by most of the names when I go to the organization level in tools. Is this a fault with a new download, or has there been a legal change?
Not that I've heard of. What country are you in? Any legal change would be country-specific.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Those who have set their information to private are showing up in orange now in Member Tools on my phone.

Return to “Member Tools”