My age is showing in LDS Tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
frankkimball

My age is showing in LDS Tools

Post by frankkimball »

Tools reflect the ages of myself and my wife. We are the only ones in the directory with that information. How do we eliminate the ages???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: My age is showing in LDS Tools

Post by russellhltn »

frankkimball wrote:Tools reflect the ages of myself and my wife. We are the only ones in the directory with that information. How do we eliminate the ages???
You can see your own ages.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:You can see your own ages.
I'm not sure why it's programmed this way. All it does is cause concern to the unaware masses. Shouldn't we know our own ages by now?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Mikerowaved wrote:
russellhltn wrote:You can see your own ages.
I'm not sure why it's programmed this way. All it does is cause concern to the unaware masses. Shouldn't we know our own ages by now?
Some of us appreciate having somewhere to turn if we have difficulty remembering or recalculating our ages. :-)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Mikerowaved wrote:I'm not sure why it's programmed this way. All it does is cause concern to the unaware masses. Shouldn't we know our own ages by now?
The system that determines what you are allowed to see uses a set of rules to determine what you are allowed to see about any given person. Those are applied to your “role” relative to that person to determine what data to send to your device. Some of the possible roles are:
  • Member of the same stake
  • Member of the same ward -This affects whether you can see members under 18
  • Auxiliary presidency member - This affects whether you can see additional member information
  • Bishopric/clerk - This allows additional membership information, like allowing a bishopric member to see an MRN, etc.
  • Household head - This gives parents information on children in their household
  • Self - You can see pretty much everything about yourself
Those rules determine what data is sent to LDS Tools about each person. Since you get to see your own birth date, it is sent to LDS Tools.

LDS Tools then uses the information it has to determine what to display. Since it received your birth date (you get it for yourself), it displays your birth date in membership information and calculates your age and displays it in the appropriate spots. The alternative would be to have LDS Tools have to store information about the person’s role and then determine what to display for every person based on that.

I agree that it causes way too much concern to the unaware masses, but the masses might also benefit from stopping for a minute to wonder why it is that the only ages they see in LDS Tools are their own ages. Perhaps that means that the only ages their neighbor sees are the neighbor’s ages....

I don’t have a lot of hope. I have had this exact same conversation five times with a member in my ward. In a couple of those conversations, I have walked over to another member and borrowed their device to show them that the other member doesn’t see their age and instead sees their own age.

[Note: I split the topic into its own thread since it was a different topic than “Updating LDS Account information”]
LBLoisLane1

Post by LBLoisLane1 »

I agree. It makes absolutely no sense to show your own age :roll: :lol:

Return to “Member Tools”