Potential Fix for Kindle Fire/LDS tools

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
Lmjamie

Potential Fix for Kindle Fire/LDS tools

Post by Lmjamie »

My mother-in-law got a Kindle fire HD 8 for Christmas. We were having trouble with logging in as described on this forum.
My brother-in-law was able to get it to work on the kindle 100% just today.
Here are the steps.
1) Delete any installed versions of the LDS Tools app
2) go to apkpure.com and download the apkpure store (you will have to allow your kindle to install from unknown sources, which you can always change back later)
3) Search lds tools in the apkpure app store
4) install LDS tools
5) sign on to LDS tools
6) it works!

That's what he did and it is currently working as I type this post. If it doesn't work, I'm not sure. But this may be helpful to a few.
NJAnderson

Re: Potential Fix for Kindle Fire/LDS tools

Post by NJAnderson »

Thanks for this posting. I was able to follow these instructions to install LDS Tools on my mom’s Kindle. This was a great help!
charholden1414

Post by charholden1414 »

This still works. Thank you for the instructions.
munaish

Post by munaish »

Whether or not it works, it relies on a third-party service that isn't an official software channel for the app. It could potentially come bundled with spyware/malware, and it could be violating some laws, copyrights, or some of Google's policies. It might not be, but with those services, it's often hard to tell.

When they update the name of the app from LDS Tools to Member Tools, it should give us a more updated version without the sign-in problem. Hopefully the new version will automatically update itself like the Gospel Library does now.
janny1024

Post by janny1024 »

This is the only thing that has worked for my mother-in-law. It's October 2020 and no update yet so I'm glad for this despite risk.
mmmerrill9@gmail.com

Post by mmmerrill9@gmail.com »

In step 2 you say apkpure store. Did you mean apkpure app? In step 3 where do I find the apkpure app store?
Thanks
Mrs Merrill
BrentAverett

Post by BrentAverett »

Does not work for us. Attempting to install the Gospel Library on to a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 from the apkpure app results in an "Installation Failed" error... now we have NO scriptures or LDS publications. This is how we read the Liahona, conference talks, Sunday Lesson, etc. HELP!!!!!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

BrentAverett wrote:Does not work for us. Attempting to install the Gospel Library on to a Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 from the apkpure app results in an "Installation Failed" error... now we have NO scriptures or LDS publications. This is how we read the Liahona, conference talks, Sunday Lesson, etc. HELP!!!!!
Gospel Library is available on the Amazon Appstore (no need for apkpure/sideloading).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
munaish

Post by munaish »

Samuel is right. If the apk messed up your Kindle Fire altogether, if nothing else helps, you can always reset it to factory settings and just download The Gospel Library from the Amazon appstore again.
munaish

Post by munaish »

For Kindle Fire users who have been looking for a comparably affordable Android tablet with a legal installation of Google Play, I recommend checking out the Vastking KingPad SA10, and getting a bluetooth keyboard to go with it (ideally one with a slot to hold up the keyboard).

Pros:
* 10" screen
* GPS
* Android 10
* Decently fast
* Good battery life
* 32GB storage
* 3GB RAM
* Higher MP cameras
* Runs all the Church's Android apps that I've tried (Member Tools, Gospel Living, FamilySearch Tree, Gospel Library, etc.)
* The screen is very visible and gets really bright (I usually keep the brightness down pretty low)
* Even with the brighter screen, it's a lot easier on my eyes (I'm very light-sensitive)
* The screen is supposed to filter harmless light out
* The eye comfort and bed-time modes (with grayscale on) make the screen even easier on the eyes. Eye comfort looks more normal than blue shade but seems to work better for me, personally.
* You don't have to pay extra to get rid of ads on your lock screen (they're never there in the first place).
* You can still install the Amazon appstore if you really want to.
* Some of the Amazon apps have cool features that are lacking on the Kindle Fire (e.g. there's a graphics equalizer built into the Amazon Music app, and you can make multiple profiles for Prime Video; the Amazon Music app seems less buggy, too, although it might not load all your paid for music right away; I had to do some fiddling around to get it to remember I owned it).
* Lots more settings you can configure.

Cons:
* My Kindle Fire HD 8 sixth edition and my Kindle Fire 2 both had better touchscreens (as in, they knew with more accuracy what I was pressing); this is one of the reasons I recommend getting a bluetooth keyboard to go along with it (so you don't have to tap all over the place to edit what you type).
* Prime Video plays in SD instead of HD, even though the tablet is capable of playing HD videos. I think they just didn't get some certification or other that they need to play DRM HD videos on Prime Video. However, the 10-inch screen kind of makes up for the loss if you had an 8-inch screen or smaller before.
* If you do install the Amazon appstore, some of the apps you paid for on it might not communicate properly with the Amazon appstore sometimes. If you open them directly from the Amazon appstore, that should work, though.
* It probably won't fit in your pocket anymore, and with the increased size comes increased weight (another reason for a bluetooth keyboard with a slot to hold the tablet up).
* Android 10 still isn't the newest version of Android (but close enough, IMO).

Return to “Member Tools”