LDS Tools no longer updating or available on Kindle

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
gloriajf1952

Re: LDS Tools no longer updating or available on Kindle

Post by gloriajf1952 »

I am sorry I purchased my new tablet 8. I purchased this strictly for my LDS Gospel Library and all other learning tools. I have recently become a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", 2 weeks ago. Had I known certain Apps are in issue with your product I would have made a different choice.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

gloriajf1952 wrote:I am sorry I purchased my new tablet 8. I purchased this strictly for my LDS Gospel Library and all other learning tools. I have recently become a member of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", 2 weeks ago. Had I known certain Apps are in issue with your product I would have made a different choice.
I believe Gospel Library still works on the Kindle (I don't own a Kindle so am just going on memory from other posts). This thread is about LDSTools which is not used for gospel study. LDSTools is the app that lists the members of your ward, your ministering assignments, who the ward leaders are, etc.

Newer Kindles run an Android OS version that "should" meet the minimum LDSTools requirement for OS version, but the Kindle OS is highly customized and there may be something that makes it difficult for the church to support it on LDSTools with the very small development team they have (I don't think anyone on this user-to-user help forum knows for sure, based on reading most of the posts on this subject).
RBiddle

Post by RBiddle »

I am able to get LDS tools on my phone (Samsung)
parryraylene1

Post by parryraylene1 »

I am looking to updating my tablet wanting to find out the best for operating gospel library, lds tools, and family tree could anyone give me some advice on what size of tablet and the size. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

parryraylene1 wrote:I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!
I'm surprised that Samsung is still selling devices with Android 4.4. I though it was just the no-name bargain-basement companies that were doing that. As it is, it seems like the "bargain-basement" types are on 7 (but I'm seeing reports of speed and display issues.)

You need to find something with a newer OS. Preferably Android 8 or 9. At least get 7.

Looking at BestBuy's website, it appears you can get a DigiLand - 10.1" for the same price as it's selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" and the reviews seem to rate it equally as well. I know nothing about the brand. I'm just going by what I see on the website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

parryraylene1 wrote:I am looking to updating my tablet wanting to find out the best for operating gospel library, lds tools, and family tree could anyone give me some advice on what size of tablet and the size. I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab E lite 7" 8 GB Tablet- Android 4.4 (Kit Kat) it will support the gospel library but not lds tools. Advice please!!
You should first check if you can update the OS. I am not familiar with this model, but you should be able to go into your settings and check for OS updates. If the hardware will support Android 5, you might be able to update it at no charge.

Purchasing an older tablet will be lower cost, but it will likely be abandoned by the OS manufacturer sooner. You should consider that in your decision - if an OS is already half-way to obsolescence (and could then lose access to LDSTools due to unpatched security problems), it might be worth it to you to spend a little more and have a tablet that will last a year or two longer before it will have to be replaced.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I second russellhltn's suggestion. Android 4.4 is an old version of Android from 2013, and it doesn't support the latest security standards or Android APIs. I wouldn't recommend any operating system version below Android 6.

LDS Tools and Gospel Library will likely support Android 5 for 1–2 more years, Android 6 for 2–3 more years, and so on. Android 7, 8, or 9 would be even better, but may be more expensive.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
DavidDownie

Post by DavidDownie »

If it doesn't take the tools i will be getting ride of it ASAP!!!!!!
raymondgeorgerobertson

Post by raymondgeorgerobertson »

I would love to have member tools back on my kindle fire. I used to get it but can not use it what is the problem?
munaish

Post by munaish »

Just for the record, Kindle Fires are pretty much the most available tablet in the USA to those who are on a tight budget. It would be pretty nice if it were supported (not just based on actual usage, but based on availability). Also, it's not just the Kindle Fire we would be supporting if we made Member Tools available for it. We would also be supporting Android devices that don't come with Google Play (and there are lots of those). True, you can install Google Play yourself on such a device, but it's against Google's terms of service (or similar), unless you're an authorized manufacturer: Therefore, installing Google Play on a device yourself is probably illegal. We believe in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law; so, I don't think we should encourage people to install it. However, the Amazon app store can be installed for free (legally) on pretty much everything.

Even if we don't support the Kindle Fire, we can at least release the apk for the app instead of requiring Google Play to install it (while still offering it on Google Play, too, of course).

I personally use a Kindle Fire as my only mobile device, and that has been the case since about 2011 (and yes, I use it a lot).

It's also worth noting that a lot of the people who use Kindle Fires are probably under the age of 18 (when people mass buy a tablet, with one for each of their kids, they don't always get them $400 iPads—that's just not always an option). I'm not sure how important Member Tools is for teenagers and younger, but it would be nice to help them feel included.

Return to “Member Tools”