Ministering Sisters

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
tamilynn15

Ministering Sisters

Post by tamilynn15 »

I am trying to look on LDS tools to find out who I am assigned to minister to and who ministers to me. I was able to look this up a couple of weeks ago, but now I can't find WHERE to access that info. Anyone have any help for me?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ministering Sisters

Post by lajackson »

tamilynn15 wrote:I am trying to look on LDS tools to find out who I am assigned to minister to and who ministers to me. I was able to look this up a couple of weeks ago, but now I can't find WHERE to access that info. Anyone have any help for me?
You need to be using the latest version of LDS Tools (3.5.0). If you are, you should see a Ministering tab with the information.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:
tamilynn15 wrote:I am trying to look on LDS tools to find out who I am assigned to minister to and who ministers to me. I was able to look this up a couple of weeks ago, but now I can't find WHERE to access that info. Anyone have any help for me?
You need to be using the latest version of LDS Tools (3.5.0). If you are, you should see a Ministering tab with the information.
In addition to the requirement to use LDS Tools 3.5, Android users need to be using android 5.0 or later. See this post by scgallafent.

The complete issue with iOS devices is not certain. LDS Tools 3.5 is required for those devices as well. But whether a specific operating system version requirement has not been made clear. It has been intimated that iOS version 10.0 or later is required. That has not been confirmed by a church employee.

Even with users meeting the operating system version requirement as well as the LDS Tools 3.5 version requirement, there are numerous reports that the ministering information is still not being displayed. No one has confirmed that the issue for android and iOS devices is being looked into or not. Users with LDS Tools 3.5 AND the minimum operating system requirement should use the in app feedback to submit the issue.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I know that one of the iOS developers mentioned today that they were looking at an issue with ministering information. I don't know the details.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jdlessley wrote:The complete issue with iOS devices is not certain. LDS Tools 3.5 is required for those devices as well. But whether a specific operating system version requirement has not been made clear. It has been intimated that iOS version 10.0 or later is required. That has not been confirmed by a church employee.
iOS 10 or later is required, for the iOS version of the app, according to the App Store.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lds-too ... 93033?mt=8
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:iOS 10 or later is required,
Any idea why iOS 9 isn't supported? iOS 8 is out of support, but 9 still seems to have some level of support.

Is that an Apple thing? Or is it like Android and 9 lacked a needed feature?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:iOS 10 or later is required,
Any idea why iOS 9 isn't supported? iOS 8 is out of support, but 9 still seems to have some level of support.
I'm not sure what specific factors went into the decision to drop support for iOS 9 in LDS Tools, but there are a few general problems that come up when an app needs to support old versions of the operating system:
– The code of the app starts to get convoluted and fragile over time, with workarounds that say things like, "if iOS 9, run this code; otherwise, run this code."
– Some new features or security measures (like the TLS issue that caused Android 4 to be dropped) can only be implemented on the latest versions of the operating system – or, would take significant effort and workarounds to implement.
– Frequently there are bugs that only affect an old version of the OS. In addition, bugs that affect all users continue to pile up. The bugs that affect all users are usually higher priority to fix.
– As more versions of the OS are supported, QA resources are spread thinner because the app needs to be tested on each supported system before a release.
– As more time gets spent on code maintenance, less time can be spent adding new features and improving the overall stability of the app.

According to Apple's statistics, 95% of active iOS devices are running iOS 10 and 11. Support for old versions of an OS is a balancing act – the cost and benefit have to be weighed carefully by product management, working with the developers and QA. In this case, the decision was made to drop full support for the remaining 5%. (It's worth noting that product managers have access to analytics that give a more exact percentage of LDS Tools users on iOS 9 – it may be lower or higher than Apple's 5%. These analytics would be consulted as part of the decision.)
russellhltn wrote:Is that an Apple thing? Or is it like Android and 9 lacked a needed feature?
Apple's App Store guidelines do periodically require apps to be updated so they work with the latest devices or versions of iOS, and sometimes the code changes to make that happen mean dropping support for old versions of iOS. However, in this case, I think it was a combination of the common issues above.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Member Tools”