Group/mass emails

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
tjcanova

Group/mass emails

Post by tjcanova »

On the "send message" tab on lds.org LCR under applications you can send a mass/group email to specific groups. In my case, I will use the example of sending an email to all EQ members . This send message tab only sends emails of those with an individual email entered on their profile, not to their household email address entered.
However, if you use the LDS tools app to send this mass email it sends it to the individual and household emails. Totally fine if the husband's email is the household email but not ideal if the wife's email is listed as household email. Same problem if RS is sending out a group email, etc.
So my question is.... Is there any way you can send a group/mass email to only individual email addresses and not to household email addresses using LDS tools app?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Group/mass emails

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm guessing that the programmers decided to do this because not everyone has an individual email address recorded. Maybe it would be better to use the individual email address if it's available, but fall back to the household email address for anyone who doesn't have an individual email address.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

sbradshaw wrote:I'm guessing that the programmers decided to do this because not everyone has an individual email address recorded. Maybe it would be better to use the individual email address if it's available, but fall back to the household email address for anyone who doesn't have an individual email address.
We often don't fall back to the household email on purpose. Because these messages may be being sent to leaders it is not appropriate to fall back to the household email, which may be someone other than the leader thereby exposing information where it shouldn't be exposed.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

That makes sense. I would recommend sending this as feedback ("Contact Us") in LDS Tools – it would be good to include the jonesrk's note above.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
fzender

Post by fzender »

jonesrk wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:I'm guessing that the programmers decided to do this because not everyone has an individual email address recorded. Maybe it would be better to use the individual email address if it's available, but fall back to the household email address for anyone who doesn't have an individual email address.
We often don't fall back to the household email on purpose. Because these messages may be being sent to leaders it is not appropriate to fall back to the household email, which may be someone other than the leader thereby exposing information where it shouldn't be exposed.
That makes sense, when I email the ward council it emails to the household email of our clerk rather than his individual email. Why does that happen?
miketorg

Post by miketorg »

What calling do you need to have to see the mass email option in lds.org LCR under applications?
brettrowe

Re: Group/mass emails (Stake Young Men's President)

Post by brettrowe »

Now that the Stake Young Men's President is a High Council Member, can the Church "turn on" the ability for the YMP to be able to email through LCRS? This would be a very beneficial/useful communication tool for this type of leader.

Has anyone else in the Church figured out a way for the Stake YMP to communicate with the Ward YMP's (which are now the Bishops)?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

fzender wrote:
jonesrk wrote:
That makes sense, when I email the ward council it emails to the household email of our clerk rather than his individual email. Why does that happen?
I would guess the clerk has his household email listed as his individual email on his membership information.
jcalkins0324

Post by jcalkins0324 »

I am our Ward Building Representative (WBR). I have responsibility for organizing and carrying out the weekly building cleaning. We have created four groups of members based on the first letter of their last name and each group is assigned a specific Saturday in which to asset in the building cleaning. As we have three wards meeting in our building, we rotate the cleaning so that every ward is a assigned one month in a given quarter. To facilitate this besides placing an announce in the Sacrament Meeting bulletin I am required to followup with a reminder to each family of their assignment. I do this the Thursday prior to their assigned date.

Is there or will there be any consideration given to allowing the WBR access to sending a mass email to the designated groups?

Having to go through the complete Ward directory to determine who has moved in/out of the Ward is a time consuming enterprise in order to update my Lists for each group and so I am not sending reminders to families no longer in our ward and involving new move-in/baptized members in this assignment.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jcalkins0324 wrote:Is there or will there be any consideration given to allowing the WBR access to sending a mass email to the designated groups?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think LCR's send a message is any better. As far as I know, you can't set up groups. You'd end up having to do the same thing there as you're doing in the directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Member Tools”