Scoutmaster Access

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
kelosh

Scoutmaster Access

Post by kelosh »

I've recently been called as the Varsity Scout Coach for our Teachers Quorum and am noticing that the calling does not have permissions to see the Aaronic Priesthood quorum directories. This is highly inconvenient because is means instead of seeing all my boys on one list I have to mentally Rolodex who is in the quorum, hope I'm not forgetting someone, and going to the family in the directory one by one to make contact. Can we please give the Scoutmasters permissions that include access to the Aaronic Priesthood quorum directories?
ambeutler

Re: Scoutmaster Access

Post by ambeutler »

Yes I agree I was the deacons quorum advisor and the scoutmaster and had access but later they called some additional help for me and moved me to the assistant advisor and scoutmaster when that happened I lost access to the scout and quorum list it was really inconvenient. I echo this sentiment can we give them access to those lists?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Nobody on the forums has any influence on those decisions. We're pretty much all just other users like yourself. Your best option is to submit feedback using the link at the bottom of most pages of lds.org. That's the best way to get suggestions to the appropriate decision makers.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Starting in 2018, the Church won't be formally participating in the Varsity or Venturing programs – teachers and priests will still be able to participate in scouts, but it won't be an "all teachers" or "all priests" activity anymore, so the teacher and priest lists won't be very helpful. So I don't think it's likely that there will be changes made to the online system just for 6 months.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kdayton

Post by kdayton »

I have the same problem. As second counselor in the Young Men Presidency, I could see all of the Deacons in the Quorum and their birthday/age. I could also view when 11 year-olds would be turning 12. Now released and serving as Scoutmaster, I can only see who is the Scoutmaster (I already know that!) When a young man turns 12, he's not presented for sustaining vote to be ordained to the office of Boy Scout in the Aaronic Priesthood. It's not the Boy Scouts of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Scouting is important, to be clear. It helps a young man be a better priesthood holder, but the real importance of my call is as an assistant to the Deacon's Quorum Adviser. In what world does it not make sense for the quorum advisers to have as much information about the young men for whom they have a stewardship?
Yes, I know the Ward Clerk or the Young Men Secretary can get me the information. During the week, when I'm out and about and need information, I want to look in LDS Tools, not wait until Sunday, or wait for an email reply.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kdayton wrote:but the real importance of my call is as an assistant to the Deacon's Quorum Adviser. In what world does it not make sense for the quorum advisers to have as much information about the young men for whom they have a stewardship?
I assume you mean "assistant quorum adviser" since that would be more consistent with the rest of your message.

While not directly applicable, you might want to look at this from the LCR FAQ
Why do stake and auxiliary leaders and high councilors have only limited access to LCR?
Stake auxiliary leaders and high councilors are primarily responsible to instruct and support ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders. They orient newly called ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders and provide encouragement, support, and instruction. They are not responsible for individual ward members. It is the ward clerk’s responsibility to train ward auxiliary and Melchizedek Priesthood leaders on record-keeping tools and responsibilities. If stake auxiliary leaders and high councilors need a list of members for planning purposes, they should request this information through the ward or stake clerk.
Now, with that principle in mind, let's look at Handbook 2: 8.3.6
The bishopric may call assistant quorum advisers to help the Young Men presidency with their responsibilities.
I think the operative word here is "assist", not supervise, manage, or direct. In short, I don't think there's any stewardship to the young men themselves.

Personal information is the property of the members, not the church's property to do as seems good. I'd imagine that in order to conform to various privacy laws, the position must conform to some kind of definition of "responsible for" to get access to member's information. It would appear that assistant quorum advisers as defined by the Handbook do not meet that standard.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Member Tools”