LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
jkentner

Re: LDS Tools Missing from Windows 10 Store

Post by jkentner »

Carlsopa, I agree with you also. I am in the same boat.
BlairLMurri

Post by BlairLMurri »

A couple years ago I tried to sign up to be a developer for LDS Tools on Windows, but they were not accepting developers. I ended up on Gospel Library. I have strong experience securing code and data on various platforms including Windows. It isn't that hard, and in fact, WinPhone is the most secure mobile platform on the market today when equal diligence and knowledge is employed, and it is also true that a win10 app can be used on desktops, tablets, and phones using the very same binary and the exact same security code. It is true that the penetration testing does still have to be done to assure regulators, but the market is much larger than just phone, and in fact, a well written app will be much more secure than a website could ever be. I home it is simply a matter of educating those involved in the decision to know the actual factors involved.
ewalk23

Post by ewalk23 »

Something else that is lacking here, though slightly touched in a previous comment about Windows still being the dominant desktop, laptop, power tablet (Surface Pro) markets, the Surface Pro specifically is taking off in huge ways that other mobile devices are not. It is a productivity tablet as opposed to your iPad and Android tablets out there for consumer markets. Not only are business people out there replacing desktops and laptops with the Surface Pro and other such Windows power tablets, but I have seen lots of casual consumers picking up the lower tier Surface Pro's simply because it is a more than worthy laptop replacement and not as weak and awkward to get things done as an iPad. What this means: because it is a tablet as much as an actual computer, it will also be heavily used as a tablet, using the marketplace apps just as much as the desktop apps. It is going to be so much harder to pause and then catch up when people finally catch on to the trends. I have seen market research that shows that the mobile computer (tablet and tablet hybrids) will start dominating the market in the next 5 to 10 years. Our church is one of forward-looking and planning so we should really be looking at the future just as much as the smaller vision of today.

I have written this on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10. I understand how numbers can show that Windows Mobile is nowhere near the top of the chain as far as consumer Facebook and Farmville tablets go, but when it comes to productivity, Microsoft has it down and apps are going to be just as important for desktops, power tablets, and laptops as the Win32 applications are. Browsers are clunky and unintegrated (I need to get a list of elders and send an email to all of them using a local mail client). LDS tools is a productivity app, not a consumer app. So look at the productivity devices just as much, if not more, than the consumer devices. When I am in leadership meetings, I will pick up my Surface Pro much sooner than my iPad (which I also have to browse Facebook and play games...). Now I cannot use my most efficient device in meetings because even as I have the app from before, I cannot get the leadership reports and information. Lessons are also much easier on a Surface Pro because you can have OneNote for your outline and Gospel Library open at the same time (and even link right from OneNote into a verse of scripture in GL). Yes, I know that GL is still on Windows, but not having LDS Tools means that I would either need to take both tablets with me to church or just not use the more efficient of the two. We all donate time to the church and time is valuable on all fronts. Devices are supposed to be efficient but again, now I cannot use the more efficient one to get my work done faster and get back to my family.

I really want to end my note with a bit of sarcasm about people making huge decisions based off of what you see on CNet and TechCrunch, but as a church leader, I will refrain.

Just please reconsider because my meetings will never be as efficient until the app is back in full swing again.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ewalk23 wrote:Just please reconsider because my meetings will never be as efficient until the app is back in full swing again.
carlsopa wrote:What can be done to help reverse this decision?
These decisions are made at the highest levels of Church leadership who, as far as we are aware, never read this Forum. There are two ways to get your suggestions to them.

One. Send feedback through the app or through a page at the LDS.org site.
Two. Share your request with your stake president, who has direct contact with general authorities who can elevate your suggestions to the decision-making level.
mhowell30

Post by mhowell30 »

Not sure if this was an intentional back door but I was able to install LDS Tools on my new Windows 10 Laptop. I went into my newly installed Gospel Library app into "Settings". I chose "Other Apps" and there was an icon for "LDS Tools". I clicked on it and it took me to the Windows Store and allowed me to download it. The version is 2.1.5 with a copyright from 2015. Hope that helps. 8-)
chrisfreeman69

Post by chrisfreeman69 »

Thank you for that it worked for me too.
ajkochev

Post by ajkochev »

It is still in the store. Just searches don't work for some reason. Outside the store in Bing, search for: "LDS Tools Windows". The app inside the store should be a top link.
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

ajkochev wrote:It is still in the store. Just searches don't work for some reason. Outside the store in Bing, search for: "LDS Tools Windows". The app inside the store should be a top link.
While nice to have, still depressing that development is at end of life. The app will only be useful for so long.
lje67

Post by lje67 »

Is there an official statement by the Church on this anywhere?

I had LDS Tools on my W10 phone as recently as a couple of months ago and it worked great, better in some ways than the same app on Android or iOS. I would just like to understand why. Would they be open to external contribution and/or outright development? I've done some UWP development and would happily contribute.

Also, I believe the Windows Store does allow designating specific markets for apps. I admit that not having access to it in countries with excessive "legal privacy requirements" is not great, but why pull it for everyone?

Not having LDS Tools on my WP is a deal breaker (unfortunately). :? :? :?
ToManyLetters wrote:
Well, that was a awkward install. The download went well enough, but it took 3 tries just to get it started. It threw a system exception during the second attempt. I wonder if it got hidden due to complaints?
Unfortunately, no. The Church has asked that the app be removed from the Windows Store (both on phones and PCs) as it has elected to not expend the necessary funds to bring the app up to par or to meet legal privacy requirements necessary in various countries.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lje67 wrote:Would they be open to external contribution and/or outright development? I've done some UWP development and would happily contribute.
Both LDS Tools and Gospel Library for Windows have been almost exclusively developed by volunteers. I don't know the definitive reason why LDS Tools for Windows was dropped, but I imagine that the volunteers have been spread pretty thin. I'll bet the Gospel Library for Windows team would love your help as a developer!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Member Tools”