Feature Request: Default area code

Any discussions around the LDS Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
tylersmith
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:58 pm

Feature Request: Default area code

Postby tylersmith » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Most phone numbers in my ward do not include area codes and my cell phone is from out of stateso it would attach the wrong prefix. LDS Tools on Android used to pause at the dial screen and I would have to manually enter the area code, but now it just goes right ahead and dials. It would be a nice feature to be able to set a default area code for all numbers that lack one.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: Feature Request: Default area code

Postby jdlessley » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm

tylersmith wrote:It would be a nice feature to be able to set a default area code for all numbers that lack one.

What is the chance the default area code would be the correct one? IMO having an incorrect area code is worse than none.

tylersmith wrote:Most phone numbers in my ward do not include area codes...

That is because the clerk does not include them in the record. If he included them then the problem would no longer be a problem. The simpler solution, IMO, would be to include the area code in the individual record rather than writing code for each individual mobile application to set a default. A default area code does not solve the problem but rather magnifies the problem. What area code would be the default? Would the default be the correct area code? Today when cell phone numbers migrate with the members when they move the likelihood a default area code would be the correct one becomes more of a problem.

tylersmith wrote:... my cell phone is from out of stateso it would attach the wrong prefix.

This is precisely why setting a default would create an additional problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Feature Request: Default area code

Postby russellhltn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:47 pm

jdlessley wrote:
tylersmith wrote:It would be a nice feature to be able to set a default area code for all numbers that lack one.

What is the chance the default area code would be the correct one? IMO having an incorrect area code is worse than none.

Well, that's what tylersmith is experiencing now.


jdlessley wrote:
tylersmith wrote:Most phone numbers in my ward do not include area codes...

That is because the clerk does not include them in the record. If he included them then the problem would no longer be a problem. The simpler solution, IMO, would be to include the area code in the individual record rather than writing code for each individual mobile application to set a default. A default area code does not solve the problem but rather magnifies the problem. What area code would be the default? Would the default be the correct area code? Today when cell phone numbers migrate with the members when they move the likelihood a default area code would be the correct one becomes more of a problem.

I think he's asking for a default area code to use for his application. While getting the clerk to change all the phone numbers would be faster, I wonder if the ward would be that willing to change all the numbers just for the sake of someone with a out-of-state phone. Particularly when it would just be clutter for those who just use the directory as a printed directory.

tylersmith, unless you are just visiting for awhile, you might want to give thought to changing your cell phone number. While many people do have phone plans with unlimited long-distance calling, it's not universal. Some land-lines may have restrictions on placing long distance calls which would make you unreachable for those people.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “LDS Tools”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest