LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Post by aebrown »

EricBowman wrote:There are enough of us that are competent programmers that all we need is the connection string to the Web Service you use for iOS or Android.
Please note that any LDS Tools app would need to use LDS Account. APIs that use LDS Account may only be used in official Church applications. This is documented in the wiki article Third-party API for gospel content: "...third-party developers are restricted from using LDS Account, which could give access to membership data."

So in addition to having access to the Web Service used in LDS Tools, you would also have to be a member of a team working on an official Church application. As far as I know, there is no team that includes volunteers working on any Windows 8 applications at this point.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

I'm happy to write an app that only give access to non-LDS account items (like the scriptures, church magazines, and articles)

That said, what does it take to make an official church application?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

EricBowman wrote:I'm happy to write an app that only give access to non-LDS account items (like the scriptures, church magazines, and articles)
This thread is discussing the LDS Tools application which provides ward and stake directory, calling and calendar information. All LDS Tools information requires access to information protected by LDS Account and so it can't be done as a third-party project. The Gospel Library app provides scriptures, magazines and so forth. Much of that app could be done as a third-party project but that is the subject of other threads (like the Gospel Library for Windows 8 thread) and should be discussed there in order to keep each thread focused.
EricBowman wrote:That said, what does it take to make an official church application?
As described on the Introduction to LDSTech Project wiki page, projects are initiated by internal church departments, not by community members. It is possible to shared ideas for projects but in this case I know it is already under consideration but we've been given no indication of if or when an official project will be started.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

comment deleted due to self-censorship of snarkiness.
Last edited by EricBowman on Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

If the API is proprietary, that is usually controlled through the distripution of the API libraries.

For example the Telerik RadTools API is a proprietary library. I am free to distribute source code using their API calls to my heart's content.....but others would not be able to compile that source code unless they had the API installed.

These same APIs generally have runtime libraries that you are free to distribute but wouldn't let people develop against them.

I feel like this is pretty standard stuff and am genuinely confused at the opposition I'm receiving.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe the use of the API is limited to authorized projects. It's not open.

Why there are currently no Win8 Projects, I/we have no idea. "They" have not communicated that information. I can only speculate that either they are too busy on higher priority projects, or are trying to find the right way to deal with the 3 versions of "8" (Pro/RT/Phone). But that's just speculation. I'm sure there's a reason, and it's frustrating not knowing what it is.

Note that the decision-makers are not here in the forum.

I think most of the "opposition" is simply from people trying to keep you from going "rogue". You'd just end up expending a lot of energy and get even more frustrated.

What you want to do is admirable, but at this time it's just not authorized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

there is a partial API that's pretty open granted you can get through the copyright approval process. I'm going to try to keep working from that angle in the following thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=15961
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricBowman wrote:there is a partial API that's pretty open granted you can get through the copyright approval process.
This topic deals with LDS Tools. There is no partial API that's open at all for LDS Tools -- the API you're referring to can only be used for Gospel Library content. An LDS Tools app could only be done as an official Church app.
EricBowman wrote:I'm going to try to keep working from that angle in the following thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=15961
For Gospel Library, that's a great approach, and that topic is the place to discuss it. Let's keep this topic focused on LDS Tools.
dlr11

Post by dlr11 »

I just got an new Asus windows Rt surface tablet. I understand there are no apps from the church that will work on this tables. Is LESTech planning to make some for this tablet.:??????
I am a member of the Keizer Stake in Oregon, would be to have apps that work with this tablet..
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

dlr11 wrote:I just got an new Asus windows Rt surface tablet. I understand there are no apps from the church that will work on this tables. Is LESTech planning to make some for this tablet.:??????
LDSTech is a discussion forum. We do not write apps, sorry.

Return to “Member Tools”