LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
vayapues

Re: LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Post by vayapues »

@jdlessley

You are incorrect in your assertion that software cannot be ported from one platform to another. As a programmer I assure you that software can, and often is ported from say iOS to Android, or windows to mac, or for that matter, Nintendo to Xbox.

porting requires writing an intermediate program, but that is pretty strait forward. Kids in high school do it all the time so that they can play complex nintendo games or PS games on android or iOS devices.

Another option would be to create an emulator, and load the app into that... something that is less desirable than my first suggestion, but it works... because that is what i did. the emulator is called bluestack. once you install it, you can then install lds tools inside it. works great.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

vayapues wrote:You are incorrect in your assertion that software cannot be ported from one platform to another.
Please note I included the word "simply". I did not say it could not be done. My comment was intended to address the expression that getting the application onto a Windows 8 was a "simple fix". Any amount of porting from one platform to the other for LDS Tools is going to take skills and knowledge of both platforms as well as the necessary tools and time. That does not make it a "simple fix" - at least not from what we have been witnessing. If it were simple it would have been done by now.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
stritch000

Post by stritch000 »

I have had my Lumia 920 since January and LDS Tools was one of the first applications I downloaded. It has always worked for me. I have not had any problems with it. Perhaps there's something I'm missing about others' posts. Curiously the store says it's version 1.11 and the app itself says it's version 1.10 but it still functions properly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Windows Phone and Windows RT are two different operating systems.

I think most of the people in this tread are wanting LDS Tools on their tablets (RT)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
carverbg

Post by carverbg »

The Administrative Moderators that are on here:

Are you really members of the church? You sound so defensive and negative with someone asking a simple question/request. Go back an read your replies to the questions that these people are asking. Most of them that are asking / requesting this are members of the church. If you work for the church, then you know there are guidelines for working as an employee of the church.

You also know that the church does have quite a bit of the "business" aspect involved in what they do day to day. Sure the "MAIN" point to the church is saving souls, but many departments in the church work for other reasons. The IT group should be working, based on their department goals, towards enabling the church employees and church members to build "the kingdom of God".

Maybe what you should post in here is not a "defensive" response to them but a response thanking them of their comments and kindly explain that the feature that they are requesting is not in the current research budget for the LDS Tools application.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

shadowman1212 wrote:The Administrative Moderators that are on here:

Are you really members of the church? You sound so defensive and negative with someone asking a simple question/request. Go back an read your replies to the questions that these people are asking. Most of them that are asking / requesting this are members of the church. If you work for the church, then you know there are guidelines for working as an employee of the church.
Note that most of the forum administrators and moderators do not work for the church. They are simply members of the LDS Tech community who volunteer their time to help answer questions when they can and provide for the smooth running of the forums. Their statements don't represent any sort of official church statements. It is important to remember this because if you assume they are church employees you may not interpret what they say in the correct light.
shadowman1212 wrote:You also know that the church does have quite a bit of the "business" aspect involved in what they do day to day. Sure the "MAIN" point to the church is saving souls, but many departments in the church work for other reasons. The IT group should be working, based on their department goals, towards enabling the church employees and church members to build "the kingdom of God".

Maybe what you should post in here is not a "defensive" response to them but a response thanking them of their comments and kindly explain that the feature that they are requesting is not in the current research budget for the LDS Tools application.
I don't see the previous posts as being defensive. The posters don't have any reason to be defensive because they have no role in the development of these tools. Rather they were trying to temper expectations and explain why development may not happen as users may desire. But those reasons are based purely on personal opinion and guesses. They can't give any authoritative answer and so they can't make a simple statement like you suggest. They can only provide possible reasons based on common sense and past experience observing church IT development.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

I have over five years of experience writing windows applications and I am familiar with the windows phone and windows RT platforms.

I know how to create a shared library between windows phone and windows RT. I am willing to work on LDSTools, but I would want to work on a Gospel Library app first.

Where do I sign up?
fomh

Post by fomh »

Me too. The scriptures, LDS Tools, hymn app, all need to be available for Windows 8 devices, especially tablets. It is an error to believe these devices all have internet access 100% of the time.
So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. VERY VERY VERY SOON.
kentann

Post by kentann »

I too would be willing to assist in any way needed. Obviously I'd prefer to work on a Sanctioned application. I'm a Developer by trade and Windows is my predominant platform of expertise. I have Several Win 8 devices including Surface RT and Pro for testing if/where necessary.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

There are enough of us that are competent programmers that all we need is the connection string to the Web Service you use for iOS or Android.

Return to “Member Tools”