LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
jbowne

LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Post by jbowne »

Any plans for development of a Windows 8 LDS Tools app? I have my new Microsoft Surface RT and love it - perfect balance between what I could do on my ipad and what I would author and work on with my laptop, now on 1 device. However I don't have LDS Tools - which is a VERY useful app for all I do in my calling. Would love to hear what the plans are for LDS Tools and other apps for Windows 8 as well (Mormon channel / LDS scriptures).

thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JAArceG

Re: LDS Tools for Windows 8?

Post by JAArceG »

I agree... I had a tablet Asus TF300 android base, and LDS Tools and the scriptures worked great, now I broke it in the ice rain last week, and the store replaced it with a TF600, which is Windows 8 based, and LDS tools would be useful. Thank you.
Hoover34

Post by Hoover34 »

I'll chime in as well. I figure if enough of us beg, we can make this happen. I have a new Windows Surface and tried to download tools today. Imagine my shock when I learned I couldn't have it. I almost cried!

A little surprised the LDS Tools App designed for windows phones doesn't also work for windows surface. Same Operating System??

So anyways... Consider this my ENTHUSIASTIC vote for a Windows Surface LDS Tools App!!!

Thanks

Joel E
Rockhill Ward, VA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hoover34 wrote:I'll chime in as well. I figure if enough of us beg, we can make this happen.
Keep in mind that the church is not a democracy. It's also in the "business" of saving souls, not writing software. Nor does it have a need to keep "customers" happy.

Hoover34 wrote:A little surprised the LDS Tools App designed for windows phones doesn't also work for windows surface. Same Operating System??
Windows Phone and Windows RT are two different operating systems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sailorsben

Post by sailorsben »

While the Church isn't a business (parts of it are), and it doesn't have "customers", as far as the church goes, many of us use those tools to help with our home teaching, visiting teaching, finding members addresses, etc. It's a great tool and I appreciate it. I use a Lumia 920, and the LDS Tools app has been broken since launch. I don't think it's that much to ask for a simple fix, not a whole new app.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sailorsben wrote: I use a Lumia 920, and the LDS Tools app has been broken since launch.
There is no LDS Tools for Windows 8 devices. The application has not been developed or deployed (launched). What does not exist cannot be broken
sailorsben wrote:I don't think it's that much to ask for a simple fix, not a whole new app.
There is nothing to fix. It does require a new application. At least in terms of development for the Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT systems a different SDK is necessary. LDS Tools for other platforms cannot simply be ported into Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sailorsben

Post by sailorsben »

Weird. Is the Gospel Library app made specifically for Windows Phone 8, or was it made for 7?

Just asking because it has worked fine since I got my Lumia. It's just the LDS Tools app that hasn't been working.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sailorsben wrote:Weird. Is the Gospel Library app made specifically for Windows Phone 8, or was it made for 7?
This thread is about LDS Tools. There is no correlation between LDS Tools and the Gospel Library. They are sepparate applications requiring separate development.

[Moderator note: Please address discussions about Gospel Library in another thread or find a thread already discussing the topic.]

LDS Tools for a Windows 7 phone will not work on a Windows 8 phone.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Colette99

Post by Colette99 »

What will it take to help us all use these wonderful tools on Windows 8?
It would be a tremendous help for all teachers, such as myself in seminary.
If I had the talent to adapt the application myself I would volunteer my time to do so.
As I do with the talents I do have.
If there is someone so talented, would they be permitted access to modify this application to Windows 8?

Return to “Member Tools”