Feature request: ministering coordination

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
rhoades20

Feature request: ministering coordination

Post by rhoades20 »

Men and women are being instructed to coordinate their ministering efforts. To help with this, a brother should be able to see the sisters assigned to minister to the women among his assigned families.
Likewise, a sister should be able to see which priesthood holders are assigned to the families of each of the women she has responsibility for.
davesudweeks

Re: Feature request: ministering coordination

Post by davesudweeks »

This is an excellent suggestion, but there is very little chance a suggestion here on this user-to-user help forum will make it to anyone in the capacity to direct that. I would post this suggestion on lds.org (feedback link at the bottom of any page). You will likely not receive a response to your suggestion, but I'm told all those suggestions are read and considered (but keep in mind the priorities are set by the brethren).
rhoades20

Post by rhoades20 »

Thanks. Per your suggestion I submitted this request through a feedback link on lds.org. I also submitted something through the LDS Tools app via help, contact us.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I actually hope they take the whole thing away again. I'd rather ministering coordination happen with a personal one-on-one interaction. It strikes me as ironic that we want to have a tool that short-cuts one additional conversation we might have with our ministering families to find out who the other pairing is.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rhoades20

Post by rhoades20 »

Sometimes they don't know which sisters are assigned to them. I've home taught several people over the years who didn't know who their visiting teachers were. This can be for a variety of reasons, e.g. their assigned sisters don't come, or they're aging and they can't remember, or they get occasional contact from a handful of people but don't know which (if any) are actually assigned, etc.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

We can come up with dozens and dozens of reasons NOT to talk to someone in person, but the plain understanding of Ministering is to stop and have a conversation. You'll glean more information that will help you in ministering by seeking out and obtaining the information you need than looking at an app.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rhoades20

Post by rhoades20 »

Having this information readily available will NOT reduce the quality or quantity of personal conversations I have with those I am assigned. Nor will it reduce the counseling done with leaders about these people.
The particular situation that made me think of this feature involves an elderly sister whose health does not allow her to attend church. She has no family around. I have communicated with her daily this week. My wife and I will also see her tonight. I knew her assigned sisters had changed twice in the past few months and I wanted to verify who I thought it was. I ended up verifying through the RS president (my wife), but it would have been convenient if I could have found out in the moment instead of waiting. Maybe this feature will only help old people who don't have good memories. Even so, I don't think it would discourage any ministering.

Return to “Member Tools”