Exporting Ward Boundaries

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
cdw3423lds

Exporting Ward Boundaries

Post by cdw3423lds »

I am in charge of emergency communication in my stake. Out here in Oklahoma, our most common disaster to prepare for is tornadoes. One of the tools I use is Google Earth along with a national weather service radar images overlay via KML file. It would be very handy if I could export the ward boundary points so I can create my own KML file that has all the ward boundaries for the stake. That way it would be easy to see when the storm is past each ward and start getting reports from those wards. And sending out people to help in communication is down.

Chris W
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

KMZ/KML-formatted boundary data is avaliable from the CDOL directory:

https://cdol.lds.org

As long as you have the proper access rights, you should be able to log in, find your stake or wards, then click "Unit Boundary Maps" at the top of the page. You will have the opportunity to download KMZ data for either the stake alone, or all the wards.

I use these boundary maps for the same purpose, and was very happy to find them.

b
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

cdw3423, it looks like you will have to ask your stake clerk to download the kmz files for you.
davemoore99

Re: Exporting Ward Boundaries

Post by davemoore99 »

Anyone found out a way to do this currenlty? Looks like the church has locke this down and I can't find anywhere to dl boundary data.....
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

davemoore99 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:59 pm Anyone found out a way to do this currenlty? Looks like the church has locke this down and I can't find anywhere to dl boundary data.....
That last post before yours was over 10 years ago. I don't have access to CDOL any longer, but I think there are other threads in the forum indicating access to export this information has been removed or severely restricted by the church. If the stake clerk cannot get the data, you will likely have to come up with another plan.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may have to draw your own based on what can be viewed in the "Ward Directory and Map" web page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Currently, CDOL contains pdf boundary maps for wards, stakes, missions, and areas ("Boundary Maps" under the "General Information" tab). As stated elsewhere, there's a feeling that access to even this remaining information may go away at any point for regular leaders, and only be available internally for church employees.
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

Looking for an answer to the question on where the KMZ files are now on CDOL and I find this thread I replied to 12 years ago. Time flies. I wish my answer from back then was still useful. Everything is so locked down now, it's hard to get some things done.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bdayley wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:56 pm Looking for an answer to the question on where the KMZ files are now on CDOL and I find this thread I replied to 12 years ago. Time flies. I wish my answer from back then was still useful. Everything is so locked down now, it's hard to get some things done.
The unit maps found on CDOL are PDF files. There are no KMZ files.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”