Beta Maps Site

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kgthunder wrote:I've noticed that the maps seem to use cookies or settings from Google and/or Microsoft to display the last location I was looking at with either maps product. Sometimes that has bothered me that the beta site doesn't remember and override separate from my other map searches.
Yea, I noticed that. I had already cleared cookies just prior to going to the site (the browser dumps it all when it closes). It only happened once. Subsequent logins all provide me with the correct home ward map. It was interesting to note that if the location was saved in a cookie, I have to wonder how it got set to Nevada. I don't know anyone in Nevada that's a member of the church and haven't viewed any maps from that area.

As I said, "It's a Beta".
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

techgy wrote:Yea, I noticed that. I had already cleared cookies just prior to going to the site (the browser dumps it all when it closes). It only happened once. Subsequent logins all provide me with the correct home ward map. It was interesting to note that if the location was saved in a cookie, I have to wonder how it got set to Nevada. I don't know anyone in Nevada that's a member of the church and haven't viewed any maps from that area.

As I said, "It's a Beta".
Two possibilities are that someone moved from Nevada to your ward and hadn't been re-geo-located yet, or moved out to Nevada and were re-geo-located to Nevada, but not yet removed from your ward's beta-maps list. (I've seen instances of both of these scenarios.)
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

rontilby wrote:Two possibilities are that someone moved from Nevada to your ward and hadn't been re-geo-located yet, or moved out to Nevada and were re-geo-located to Nevada, but not yet removed from your ward's beta-maps list. (I've seen instances of both of these scenarios.)
I suppose that's possible. I don't generally hear about where people move in from unless they're introduced in a PHD meeting. It's not a big deal - just something that caught my attention and since the site's still in Beta, I thought it worth mentioning. Thanks for the thoughts.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Boundary problem

Post by zaneclark »

Is there a secret to getting the boundaries to show? They were fine yesterday but I haven't been able to get any boundaries today....
zaneclark

Map boundaries

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:Is there a secret to getting the boundaries to show? They were fine yesterday but I haven't been able to get any boundaries today....
Still can't get the boundaries to show and I need it to show to the stake presidency tomorrow morning....help!!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

zaneclark wrote:Still can't get the boundaries to show and I need it to show to the stake presidency tomorrow morning....help!!
Have you clicked on Legend and made sure that Selected Boundary is checked? As long as that is checked I see ward and stake boundaries just fine. If it isn't checked they disappear.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

eblood66 wrote:Have you clicked on Legend and made sure that Selected Boundary is checked? As long as that is checked I see ward and stake boundaries just fine. If it isn't checked they disappear.
That was it!! I knew it would be something simple but couldn't find it...THANK YOU!!!
allenjblodgett

Even newer maps....

Post by allenjblodgett »

It looks like the LDS.org team made another change on us...

They designed their own controls, instead of using the ones that come with Google or Bing maps...
coletheelder

Re: Beta Maps Site

Post by coletheelder »

My suggestion may be a bit late, but I "validate an address" using the USPS website
https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

The name of the website may seem misleading, but just plug in the supposed MLS Street 1, Street 2 (e.g. Apt #, Unit #), City, and State data, and the valid address -- by USPS standards -- will be returned, including the valid zip/postal code. An invalid address will also be identified, which should then be verified by contacting the household.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”