Mission map

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jbrannellyjr wrote:I would also like to try seeing mission boundaries but the links in this thread no longer seem to work for beta maps. Any guidance?
The production version includes mission boundaries. The beta went to production the end of April.

To see the mission boundaries make sure "Missions" is checked in the Boundaries section of the Map Layers tool.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rapnap

Map Overlay not Showing Missions or Areas as Previously in Beta Version

Post by rapnap »

Very disappointed that the LDS Maps site does not allow you to select in the Map Overlay --- Areas or Missions. Used to be able to know what Area missionaries were in and their Mission boundaries, and it would show the Mission boundaries. I know you said to check "Mission," but neither that nor the "Area" option is as available options to check. Any ideas?? Thanks.
rapnap

Post by rapnap »

[INDENT]Very disappointed that the LDS Maps site does not allow you to select in the Map Overlay --- Areas or Missions. Used to be able to know what Area missionaries were in and their Mission boundaries, and it would show the Mission boundaries. I know you said to check "Mission," but neither that nor the "Area" option is as available options to check. Any ideas?? Thanks. [/INDENT]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rapnap wrote:Very disappointed that the LDS Maps site does not allow you to select in the Map Overlay --- Areas or Missions.
It does for me. To verify, I zoomed the map display far enough out to view several mission areas and sure enough all the missions boundaries appeared as red boundaries. When I selected Areas, dark purple boundaries for the areas appeared. Note that Areas are not missionary service areas within a mission. They are Church administrative areas.
rapnap wrote:Used to be able to know what Area missionaries were in and their Mission boundaries, and it would show the Mission boundaries.
I don't recall missionary areas being available. Those areas are merely the boundaries of the ward they are serving in. The Directory displays the mission area in a small map below the name of the missionary selected. You can view the mission boundaries of missionaries serving from any unit of your stake by selecting the unit in the Directory; then select Missionary; then select the name of the missionary in the "Filter Results" column. There is a link in the right column to view the mission boundaries in LDS Maps.
rapnap wrote:I know you said to check "Mission," but neither that nor the "Area" option is as available options to check. Any ideas??.
In the Maps toolbar on the right side click the icon that looks like a 3D stack of paper. "Map Layers" will be displayed for the context help when the mouse pointer is hovered over the icon. In the layers tool click the "Boundaries" section. There should be three options. They are Selected, Missions, and Areas. Check the options you would like to have displayed. "Selected" means the boundaries of the unit selected in the left column will be displayed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
TeddJohnson

Post by TeddJohnson »

Hello!

This seems like a good place to post an issue I am having. I am currently serving out in the mission field. Before the recent update to maps, I could have it show me ward and stake boundaries of anywhere in the world (including my mission) now I am limited to only my home ward and stake. I am trying to print off a map of the stake I am serving as a zone leader in, to help facilitate things between the missionaries here, it would also help to be able to get the ward boundaries within it, since that is their areas. Why did this feature get removed?

I know I am supposed to somehow have it show which ward I am serving in, but that doesn't appear to be setup for me. I contacted my ward clerk, but after weeks nothing has been fixed. Would this allow me to see the ward/stake boundaries of the zone I am serving in?

Thanks!
-Elder Johnson
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

TeddJohnson wrote: I am currently serving out in the mission field. Before the recent update to maps, I could have it show me ward and stake boundaries of anywhere in the world (including my mission) now I am limited to only my home ward and stake.
You must be signed in to get detail information such as boundaries. If you are having issues after signing in then there may be issues with your LDS Account.

TeddJohnson wrote:I know I am supposed to somehow have it show which ward I am serving in, but that doesn't appear to be setup for me. I contacted my ward clerk, but after weeks nothing has been fixed. Would this allow me to see the ward/stake boundaries of the zone I am serving in?
Your mission office may have a program that displays this information. But there is no integration of mission information generally available other than as described below.

The local clerk has no control over data for missionaries serving in their area. Clerks do maintain membership data for missionaries serving from their unit. Missionary information, such as what area or unit a missionary is assigned to, is controlled and updated by your mission office. That information is then displayed in the unit Directory. There is a link below the small mission map to have the mission boundary display on the Maps program.

The unit in which your records reside determines the data automatically available to you. For out of unit leaders this is extended to include the unit in which they are serving. For example, when you sign into Maps and select "My Ward and Stake" you will see the information for your home unit and stake. There is no feature in Maps that I am aware of that automatically gives missionaries unit or boundary information for the unit in which they are serving.

If you sign in to the Directory application you will see the data for your home unit and stake. Once there you can select Missionary in the left column and then select your name under the "Serving Missionaries" group in the middle "Filter Results" column. Your mission boundaries will then be displayed. There is no display for the unit or area in which you are serving. To get that boundary you must specifically use the Maps program and enter the name of the unit.
JD Lessley

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”