Mission map

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

OK, with my usual bad luck, I got the map to show the printed version with my son's mission boundaries, but after I messed around with some things to try to get it just like I wanted, now it doesn't show borders. It seems like it has saved settings that I cannot find anymore. Can I somehow reset to default settings?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Try going back in and reselect the mission. I think boundaries is a bit fussy and will disappear if you change size or select a different set of boundaries.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

pburt wrote:OK, with my usual bad luck, I got the map to show the printed version with my son's mission boundaries, but after I messed around with some things to try to get it just like I wanted, now it doesn't show borders.

It did appear to me that in the "Print friendly" view of the map, the boundary layer is not present. I don't know if it is supposed to be present or not (that is, whether this a design limitation or a bug). But that's the way it seems to work. You might submit feedback using the beta-maps site and see what happens.

Even if the boundaries were present, it would probably not make a very good wall map because it is scaled for a single sheet of paper. That is why I said above that I don't think this site will automatically produce the wall map you originally said you wanted. For that, you might just be better off drawing a low-tech copy of the boundaries on a commercially produced wall map. You could zoom and pan the beta-maps web site on-screen, and copy the boundaries to that map with a pen or marker. Sounds like a fun family home evening. :)
ThompsonMV

Post by ThompsonMV »

Poqui wrote:gotta be in tune...
LOL! :p I'll consider myself there then.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

Boomer, when I first tried it, the mission borders showed and even printed, but when I tried some other things then it no longer did. Until you said it did the same for you, I thought I had just messed up my settings. Evidently something went wrong with the site, because my innocent wanderings could not affect it for everyone--or could they? Hmmmm.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

The beta site and the boundary server in particular take pretty heavy loads, especially when we all start playing with it at the same time. ;) The site was exhibiting signs of overload (data never populating on the map) for me until about 1 minute ago.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

That sounds right. It has been really erratic--working fine, and then grinding to a halt, with no predictability. But when it works, it seems great.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

Has the beta maps site been curtailed? It still shows my personal ward, but will not search for anything, such as my son's mission.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

pburt wrote:Has the beta maps site been curtailed? It still shows my personal ward, but will not search for anything, such as my son's mission.
I can duplicate that if I am not signed in. After signing in it will let me search for a mission. Please check to see if logging in helps.
pburt2006

Post by pburt2006 »

I logged in with a login that is different from the login used on this forum, and it still won't search. It takes me to https://beta-maps.lds.org/index.jsf?con ... nId=130517 and gives me an error that says, "This is a "server-side" error, meaning the problem is not with your PC or Internet connection but instead is a problem with the web site's server." It will not log in with the username and password from the LDSTech site.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”