Second meetinghouse for a ward

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Second meetinghouse for a ward

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:This thread is only talking about the possibility of getting group meeting locations to appear at maps.lds.org.
In what now seems to be the ancient days of Local Unit Web Sites, this was easily taken care of with additional text on the home page announcing that the ward had a second location.

We used this free-form note area to show the relationship between overlay language units. We also used it to show the correct meeting times while we were trying to figure out how to get MLS to update the real unit times, and even to pre-announce upcoming meeting time changes.

I can't quite envision how you would do that with Maps.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:...this might fall into the "they're doing WHAT???" category.
Maybe this is one of those situations russellhltn is talking about: Several years ago I was visiting a family member who lived in the mountains. Their ward had two meeting locations. Which one it was on a given Sunday was determined by snowfall (if there's snow below x,000 feet, we meet at location A; otherwise we're at location B). Their ward had fairly large boundaries through the sparsely-populated mountain region. I think the closer meetinghouse to many people was at a higher altitude, but depending on the snowfall, may not have been plowed. So, if the snowfall was too low, they went down the mountain to a bigger city and met at a building there. Yes, that impacted attendance, but that was their situation for a while.

I think communication to unit members is probably easier now, but I still don't know how you could communicate this type of information to visitors? This was pre-LUWS, but as lajackson reminded us, a system like LUWS would have allowed ward leaders to post information about a given Sunday's meeting location. I don't know how you'd handle that type of situation now.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:In what now seems to be the ancient days of Local Unit Web Sites, this was easily taken care of with additional text on the home page announcing that the ward had a second location.
That helps for some situations, but there are some interesting things that happen when you start digging around in the corners.

How about a group whose parent unit does not meet?

How do you handle significant geographic separation (think travel time in hours) between the group and its parent unit when presenting that information on a map?
grahamf72

Post by grahamf72 »

So if I’m reading this thread correct, with the current design, this is not possible?

What then would be the correct channels for a feature request - is there an email address to contact? Or does it go up the PH leadership line - bishop, SP, AP etc? (We are outside the USA).

Interestingly, the remote meetinghouse is listed in the Facilities Issues Reporting section of the LDS.org website, and in the FIR app.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

grahamf72 wrote:So if I’m reading this thread correct, with the current design, this is not possible?

What then would be the correct channels for a feature request - is there an email address to contact? Or does it go up the PH leadership line - bishop, SP, AP etc? (We are outside the USA).

Interestingly, the remote meetinghouse is listed in the Facilities Issues Reporting section of the LDS.org website, and in the FIR app.
Yeah, we saw that data as we did some investigation. The trick is getting everything tied together so that the maps application can display it correctly including the meeting times
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

grahamf72 wrote:So if I’m reading this thread correct, with the current design, this is not possible?
We don't think it is possible, but we're not completely certain. Some of the pieces are in place, but no one has tested end-to-end to see where issues might pop up. There are a couple of spots we suspect things don't fit together quite like they need to for this to work.
grahamf72 wrote:What then would be the correct channels for a feature request - is there an email address to contact? Or does it go up the PH leadership line - bishop, SP, AP etc? (We are outside the USA).
Your stake president would be the best person to make the request to the area leadership.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”