Correcting Meeting House Address

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
dmay

Correcting Meeting House Address

Post by dmay »

I would like to know what I need to correct one of our meeting house addresses. If someone can help with this I would be grateful.
eblood66

Re: Correcting Meeting House Address

Post by eblood66 »

Meetinghouse addresses come from the FMAT database which is maintained by the FM group. To make corrections you need to contact your FM group (usually through your Physical Facilities Representative who is usually a high counselor) and ask them make the correction.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Unfortunately there are two sources of addresses for meetinghouses. The other source is CDOL. That address used to be (and still might be) edited via MLS at the stake level.

P.S. yes we know that having two sources is problematic and have some ideas about how to eliminate the duplication going forward, unfortunately it isn't going to be as fast as we would like.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

eblood66 wrote:Meetinghouse addresses come from the FMAT database which is maintained by the FM group. To make corrections you need to contact your FM group (usually through your Physical Facilities Representative who is usually a high counselor) and ask them make the correction.
Do you have first-hand knowledge of this, or can someone else verify this?

Due to a renovation, our ward is meeting in another meetinghouse. The address is incorrect in the maps.lds.org. A FM group employee said to me that FMAT gets its location information from GPM system. They have done the change to GPM several weeks ago, and maps still shows the old address. He was wondering if there is some other source for the maps. I don't know what that could be, since CDOL has the correct address too.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

nikk3hi3tala wrote:
eblood66 wrote:Meetinghouse addresses come from the FMAT database which is maintained by the FM group. To make corrections you need to contact your FM group (usually through your Physical Facilities Representative who is usually a high counselor) and ask them make the correction.
No, I don't have first-hand knowledge. I'm going off reports from the forum over the years.
nikk3hi3tala wrote:Due to a renovation, our ward is meeting in another meetinghouse. The address is incorrect in the maps.lds.org. A FM group employee said to me that FMAT gets its location information from GPM system. They have done the change to GPM several weeks ago, and maps still shows the old address. He was wondering if there is some other source for the maps. I don't know what that could be, since CDOL has the correct address too.
jonesrk is the CDOL developer so he usually is very knowledgeable about these things and might chime in again.

But it's possible that the information for the maps is stored in some local data source and then sync'ed from the more authoritative sources. In which case the sync might have failed. I don't know that any developers involved directly with maps frequent the forums so you'll probably need to contact the global service center and ask them to have someone take a look.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

nikk3hi3tala wrote:

Due to a renovation, our ward is meeting in another meetinghouse. The address is incorrect in the maps.lds.org. A FM group employee said to me that FMAT gets its location information from GPM system. They have done the change to GPM several weeks ago, and maps still shows the old address. He was wondering if there is some other source for the maps. I don't know what that could be, since CDOL has the correct address too.
Let me know which unit it is and I'll talk to the maps guys and see what the problem is. As far as I know the only two sources for the addresses are FMAT/GPM and CDOL.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

Thanks eblood66 and jonesrk for your help.
jonesrk, I send you a PM.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

nikk3hi3tala wrote:Thanks eblood66 and jonesrk for your help.
jonesrk, I send you a PM.
From what I can see in my view into GPM the address there is not the same one that is in CDOL.
nikk3hi3tala

Post by nikk3hi3tala »

jonesrk wrote: From what I can see in my view into GPM the address there is not the same one that is in CDOL.
I told this to the FM people and they apparently contacted some higher-ups. This is the response they got from the higher-ups:
In my knowledge, when a unit is meeting in a temporary place we don’t have to change the address of the official meetinghouse, because the BUILDING didn’t actually move anywhere. It is the WARD that is meeting somewhere else.

When units are meeting somewhere else, there is no possibility of changing the address in the meetinghouse locator, other than changing the address of the whole meetinghouse, but we are not supposed to do that.
[Previously in similar cases,] we simply attached signs to the original meetinghouse doors, indicating the location of the place where the Ward was meeting at the moment.

I agree that the systems maybe might have a way to saying that the Ward is temporarily meeting somewhere, but apparently there is not.
I find this really strange and annoying. There should be a way to move the ward without moving the meetinghouse.

Our temporarily closed meetinghouse is situated in the downtown and close to the harbors, where cruise ships stop. It is the most popular place for tourist to go. During the summer season we usually have dozens of tourists coming to our meetings. Now they will have to first go to the wrong place to see a note that tells that the ward is meeting somewhere else.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

nikk3hi3tala wrote:
jonesrk wrote: From what I can see in my view into GPM the address there is not the same one that is in CDOL.
I told this to the FM people and they apparently contacted some higher-ups. This is the response they got from the higher-ups:
In my knowledge, when a unit is meeting in a temporary place we don’t have to change the address of the official meetinghouse, because the BUILDING didn’t actually move anywhere. It is the WARD that is meeting somewhere else.

When units are meeting somewhere else, there is no possibility of changing the address in the meetinghouse locator, other than changing the address of the whole meetinghouse, but we are not supposed to do that.
[Previously in similar cases,] we simply attached signs to the original meetinghouse doors, indicating the location of the place where the Ward was meeting at the moment.

I agree that the systems maybe might have a way to saying that the Ward is temporarily meeting somewhere, but apparently there is not.
I find this really strange and annoying. There should be a way to move the ward without moving the meetinghouse.

Our temporarily closed meetinghouse is situated in the downtown and close to the harbors, where cruise ships stop. It is the most popular place for tourist to go. During the summer season we usually have dozens of tourists coming to our meetings. Now they will have to first go to the wrong place to see a note that tells that the ward is meeting somewhere else.
They don't actually change the building address, but they assign units to buildings. Maybe that is the misunderstanding, unless reassigning buildings for short periods of time causes issues.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”