Unit locator feature

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
rpyne

Unit locator feature

Post by rpyne »

maps.lds.org used to take an address and show the assigned unit for the address. It appears that this functionality is now gone, and the look-up doesn't even give a coherent list of units in the area. For example, I put in a google verified address in Virginia and it gave me back a list of units ranging from Arizona to Tonga, with the Arizona unit being the closest to the address. The results I'm seeing from mormon.org are not any better.

So, I thought I'd try the locater in cdol, but it is now missing and it just has a link to maps.lds.org.

I tried phoning the GSS, and got no better results.

We have need from time to time to locate a unit or bishop for a particular address, and these tools used to provide a reliable method.

Does anyone know of a way to look up units for a given address?
drepouille

Re: Unit locator feature

Post by drepouille »

See the attachment posted by aebrown here:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p127293
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Try 256 Bland Farm Road, Bland, Virginia
or 901 Corrections Way, Jarrett, Virginia

It doesn't work.

The Global Service Center wasn't much more help.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rpyne wrote:Try 256 Bland Farm Road, Bland, Virginia
or 901 Corrections Way, Jarrett, Virginia

It doesn't work.

The Global Service Center wasn't much more help.
In both of those cases Google can't find the exact address. Instead it just finds a road. For Bland Farm Road it doesn't even find the road but instead finds Oak Lawn Farm Ln. It does find Corrections Way but it doesn't find the specific street address and just shows the center of the road. I've found that when maps.lds.org doesn't get an exact match it tries to be 'helpful' and provide various possible things it thinks you might be searching for (but doesn't do a great job of it). But if you do get an exact match it still gives the assigned ward.

If you don't get an exact match you can still get the assigned ward but it takes some additional work. First you need to get in the right neighborhood. For example, I searched on Jarratt, VA and got an option to show that town. I then moved around (using Google's result as a guide) until I found the right place on the map. Then I right clicked and selected 'Find LDS Places nearby' and it showed the assigned ward.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rpyne wrote:maps.lds.org used to take an address and show the assigned unit for the address. It appears that this functionality is now gone, and the look-up doesn't even give a coherent list of units in the area.
Sometimes it works for me. Sometimes it doesn't. My first workaround simply is to try again and see if it works. Then I try various versions of an address until I get a hit in the country I need. And finally, I just look at all of the buildings on the map and try to figure out something on my own.

The latter does not work for specialized units, of course.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”