Download KML File?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
bballrob

Download KML File?

Post by bballrob »

Is there a way to download a KML file of member address that I can import into Google Earth?

If anyone has heard about the forest fire in Alaska that has just gone over 100,000 Acres, that's affecting our ward. I've got a download of the fire perimeter that I loaded in GOogle earth, and it would be convenient if I could overlay a ward map too.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Download KML File?

Post by Mikerowaved »

Your ward or stake priesthood leader will have access to the CDOL website. There, they can download a KMZ file of your ward and/or stake boundaries.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can download something pretty close from maps.lds.org.

However, depending on how much the clerks kept on top of it, the locations listed may be suspect.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

Mikerowaved wrote:Your ward or stake priesthood leader will have access to the CDOL website. There, they can download a KMZ file of your ward and/or stake boundaries.
Where in the CDOL can I download the KMZ of the boundaries? I can't find it.
russellhltn wrote:You can download something pretty close from maps.lds.org.

However, depending on how much the clerks kept on top of it, the locations listed may be suspect.
I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bballrob wrote:Where in the CDOL can I download the KMZ of the boundaries? I can't find it.
Pull up your stake in the CDOL. Up near the top line is "Unit Boundary Forms/Maps". That opens a new window. One of the options there is a set of boundaries.

For some reason it's not working for me in IE11, but works fine in Chrome.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bballrob wrote:I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.
There are tools to allow you to convert it.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:For some reason it's not working for me in IE11, but works fine in Chrome.
It works for me in IE11, FF, or Chrome.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

russellhltn wrote:
bballrob wrote:I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.
There are tools to allow you to convert it.
Sweet. I found one. Thanks for all your help. This has given me exactly what I wanted.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

bballrob - which tool did you use? I downloaded the file from CDOL but when I converted it from kmz to kml (and I even tried converting to shp) all I could get were pushpins for the meetinghouse locations and no unit boundaries.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

I use a MacBook Pro laptop computer. I did a search and was able to find a program called KMLCSV converter. It was very easy to use and convert the CSV file into a KML file.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”