Download KML File?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Download KML File?

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:I downloaded the file from CDOL but when I converted it from kmz to kml (and I even tried converting to shp) all I could get were pushpins for the meetinghouse locations and no unit boundaries.
Why convert it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Where did you find the csv? The only option I have is to download a kmz
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:bballrob - which tool did you use? I downloaded the file from CDOL but when I converted it from kmz to kml (and I even tried converting to shp) all I could get were pushpins for the meetinghouse locations and no unit boundaries.
To convert a KMZ to KML, you can either open it with Google Earth and save it again as a KML, or even easier, just change the file extension from KMZ to ZIP and it will open with your favorite compression tool. There you will find one (or more) KML files.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Where did you find the csv? The only option I have is to download a kmz
Unit boundaries can be downloaded from the CDOL as a kmz file. It can be used in Google Earth without conversion.

Member's locations can be downloaded from maps.lds.org as a csv file. It has to be converted before used in Google Earth.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Ok, so I did that right, but when I loaded the KML into QGIS as a vector layer I have no shapes, only dots for the meetinghouses.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aclawson wrote:Ok, so I did that right, but when I loaded the KML into QGIS as a vector layer I have no shapes, only dots for the meetinghouses.
If you downloaded a 'csv' from CDOL and then converted it to KML then it makes sense that you would just have the meetinghouses. The only 'csv' export from CDOL is the export of your search results which would have the meeting house addresses.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I downloaded the KMZ file (there are no KML files in CDOL). ArcView Explorer correctly inputs and parses them but unless you buy the commercial version you can't do very much with it. The various KMZ->KML tools gack on the KMZ file and if you extract the KML I only get the single points with no shapes.

Since the KMZ files can be generated by a script it would be extremely useful if the SHP files were also generated by script and published for download.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:I downloaded the KMZ file (there are no KML files in CDOL).
That's partially correct. The KML file is simply compressed in the KMZ.
aclawson wrote:ArcView Explorer correctly inputs and parses them but unless you buy the commercial version you can't do very much with it. The various KMZ->KML tools gack on the KMZ file and if you extract the KML I only get the single points with no shapes.
I also played with various KML-->SHP tools and found they did not do well converting the polygon data. That data is definitely there, as I've loaded them as arrays in MathCad and played with them there. You can also see them if you open the KML file in a text editor. Makes sense, since Google Earth displays the boundaries correctly. Is it possible the KML file structure has evolved slightly to throw some of these older conversion tools off?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The KML file structure has indeed possibly changed. So far it seems that my options are to either spend lots of money to buy a copy of ArcView or scrap the efforts.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”