Download KML File?

Discussions about the Maps Tool on lds.org.
bballrob
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am
Location: The Great White North

Download KML File?

Postby bballrob » Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Is there a way to download a KML file of member address that I can import into Google Earth?

If anyone has heard about the forest fire in Alaska that has just gone over 100,000 Acres, that's affecting our ward. I've got a download of the fire perimeter that I loaded in GOogle earth, and it would be convenient if I could overlay a ward map too.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Re: Download KML File?

Postby Mikerowaved » Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Your ward or stake priesthood leader will have access to the CDOL website. There, they can download a KMZ file of your ward and/or stake boundaries.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20780
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Download KML File?

Postby russellhltn » Sun May 25, 2014 12:56 am

You can download something pretty close from maps.lds.org.

However, depending on how much the clerks kept on top of it, the locations listed may be suspect.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

bballrob
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Download KML File?

Postby bballrob » Sun May 25, 2014 1:06 am

Mikerowaved wrote:Your ward or stake priesthood leader will have access to the CDOL website. There, they can download a KMZ file of your ward and/or stake boundaries.

Where in the CDOL can I download the KMZ of the boundaries? I can't find it.

russellhltn wrote:You can download something pretty close from maps.lds.org.

However, depending on how much the clerks kept on top of it, the locations listed may be suspect.

I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20780
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Download KML File?

Postby russellhltn » Sun May 25, 2014 1:22 am

bballrob wrote:Where in the CDOL can I download the KMZ of the boundaries? I can't find it.

Pull up your stake in the CDOL. Up near the top line is "Unit Boundary Forms/Maps". That opens a new window. One of the options there is a set of boundaries.

For some reason it's not working for me in IE11, but works fine in Chrome.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20780
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Download KML File?

Postby russellhltn » Sun May 25, 2014 1:27 am

bballrob wrote:I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.

There are tools to allow you to convert it.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

User avatar
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators
Posts: 3133
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:56 am
Location: Layton, UT

Re: Download KML File?

Postby Mikerowaved » Sun May 25, 2014 2:12 am

russellhltn wrote:For some reason it's not working for me in IE11, but works fine in Chrome.

It works for me in IE11, FF, or Chrome.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

bballrob
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Download KML File?

Postby bballrob » Mon May 26, 2014 3:19 pm

russellhltn wrote:
bballrob wrote:I looked in there, but all I could find was a place to download a .csv file, which I don't believe is compatible with google earth at all.

There are tools to allow you to convert it.


Sweet. I found one. Thanks for all your help. This has given me exactly what I wanted.

aclawson
Senior Member
Posts: 712
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:28 pm
Location: Commerce Twp, MI

Re: Download KML File?

Postby aclawson » Sat May 31, 2014 1:43 pm

bballrob - which tool did you use? I downloaded the file from CDOL but when I converted it from kmz to kml (and I even tried converting to shp) all I could get were pushpins for the meetinghouse locations and no unit boundaries.

bballrob
Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am
Location: The Great White North

Re: Download KML File?

Postby bballrob » Sat May 31, 2014 3:27 pm

I use a MacBook Pro laptop computer. I did a search and was able to find a program called KMLCSV converter. It was very easy to use and convert the CSV file into a KML file.


Return to “Maps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest