Parcel maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Parcel maps

Post by sbradshaw »

For missionaries and ward leaders a very handy tool to have integrated into maps would be simple black-and-white parcel/property maps. Parcel maps show an outline of each property instead of just showing roads (not enough info) or satellite imagery (too cluttered).

As a missionary, in areas where they were available, we would get big printed-out parcel maps from the town hall. Then we would mark properties in different colors – whether it was a member, an investigator, a potential investigator, etc. who lived there. Some areas had laminated parcel maps and the missionaries could mark it up with a dry-erase marker.

A ward leader could set up his own color system and mark where the elderly or widows are, where part-member families are, and where other ward leaders are, for example.

Color-coded parcel maps are much better than pins on a satellite map.
mevans

Re: Parcel maps

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:For missionaries and ward leaders a very handy tool to have integrated into maps would be simple black-and-white parcel/property maps. Parcel maps show an outline of each property instead of just showing roads (not enough info) or satellite imagery (too cluttered).
You can change the map type and get something perhaps a little closer to your needs. I find that Google Road maps shows the building outlines; it's not a parcel map, but it gives you a decent idea of the parcels. I also saw the ESRI road maps showed buildings in some locations.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mevans wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:For missionaries and ward leaders a very handy tool to have integrated into maps would be simple black-and-white parcel/property maps. Parcel maps show an outline of each property instead of just showing roads (not enough info) or satellite imagery (too cluttered).
You can change the map type and get something perhaps a little closer to your needs. I find that Google Road maps shows the building outlines; it's not a parcel map, but it gives you a decent idea of the parcels. I also saw the ESRI road maps showed buildings in some locations.
Actually, I think it depends on the area where you're looking. Google Road maps in my city (on the Wasatch Front in Utah) show both buildings and parcels if I zoom in far enough. But smaller cities in Utah only show some of the larger building and no parcels.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm thinking something with a white background and bold black lines dividing properties, and that you can print... But Google Maps does have a start, which is good...

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”