Anyway to turn on Names on Map Tags?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Anyway to turn on Names on Map Tags?

Post by aebrown »

kurtfk wrote:Thank you. I can understand why that is so. However, do the sponsoring church departments take suggestions? I hope so.
Certainly. That's one of the purposes of the Feedback link on the bottom of many pages on LDS.org (and you can use the link on the LDS.org home page if you want to give feedback on a page that has no link).
dwpdds

Map Printing

Post by dwpdds »

What happened to the map printing functions? A week ago we were able to print a map and in display options you could customize the map. Certainly those features are not being removed are they?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Map Printing

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this post from its original forum section (Beta Maps) to the correct forum section (Maps) and merged it with the existing topic for this issue.]
dwpdds wrote:What happened to the map printing functions? A week ago we were able to print a map and in display options you could customize the map. Certainly those features are not being removed are they?
As you can see in this post, this feature has been changed. At this point we have not heard if this removal is temporary or permanent or why the change was made.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Suggestions can be made via the feedback link on most lds.org pages. Your stake president can also submit suggestions through his priesthood leadership at church headquarters.
mbrinson

Post by mbrinson »

So sad. I sure hope it is brought back.
nicklewis

Post by nicklewis »

dwpdds wrote:What happened to the map printing functions? A week ago we were able to print a map and in display options you could customize the map. Certainly those features are not being removed are they?
I did use the feedback link to send a note to ask for this feature back. During the hurricane season in Florida, we use this feature to print out maps prior to storms in case there is a situation where access to the Internet is not possible. Those of us who remember Hurricane Andrew in south Florida know how much of the infrastructure was interrupted during those first few days. Being able to print the maps that previous capability gave us was extremely important.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

nicklewis wrote:
I did use the feedback link to send a note to ask for this feature back. During the hurricane season in Florida, we use this feature to print out maps prior to storms in case there is a situation where access to the Internet is not possible. Those of us who remember Hurricane Andrew in south Florida know how much of the infrastructure was interrupted during those first few days. Being able to print the maps that previous capability gave us was extremely important.
Since the hurricane season is now, and we know nothing about plans for redeveloping this feature online, you might want to explore offline solutions using third-party software to print member names on large maps with boundaries. I discuss some of those in this thread.

BTW, there might be a problem downloading boundary KML files for external apps to use. That functionality used to be available in CDOL, but seems to have disappeared. (Perhaps that issue is specific to my unit or my personal login privileges.) But the download of member locations from lds.org still works.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RossEvans wrote:BTW, there might be a problem downloading boundary KML files for external apps to use. That functionality used to be available in CDOL, but seems to have disappeared. (Perhaps that issue is specific to my unit or my personal login privileges.) But the download of member locations from lds.org still works.
It is still there in CDOL and it looks like you should have rights. The one issue is that the KMZ files are only available on the stake (it has ward boundaries too), even though it looks like a ward should have them (I'll fix that).

Edit: The KMZ files on the ward now actually pull up the ward boundaries for all the wards in the stake.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”