Ward Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
danbaker-p40

Overlay of shape files on mashups?

Post by danbaker-p40 »

Everyone,

Great to see all the development in mapping! Last week, unaware of other ward mapping efforts, I (a newbie) used SED to clean up the membership *.csv file from lds.org for batchgeocode.com, then more SED to drop into the middle of mapping code offered at
http://www.martwebstudio.net/strike.up. ... /index.php - real programmers write their own code, I know - the three files (xml, html, and css) can be zipped, emailed to ward leaders and opened on their own PCs, preserving security vital for these records.

As flooding potential grows with warmer Gulf weather ahead, we'd thought of overlaying our maps with shape files of flood zones available for the Houston area. We want to identify groups of members potentially isolated from others by flooding. Any ideas on overlaying shape files on mashups?

Dan
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

I've continued to receive a LOT of feedback from folks wanting access to the WardMap I had hosted. I've explained to them I can't, due to the reasons posted earlier in this thread. As such, I created a VBS file that anyone can run on their Windows machine and consume their Ward Member CSV file from LDS.org. It solves the 2 issues posted by Tom and lets folks still have a ward map quickly and easily...without sharing your ward data with anyone.

http://wardmap.theballfamily.org

Thanks,

Kevin
lincles wrote:Just some thoughts -

First of all I think this thread is exactly why this will be a great site. A member had an excellent idea, shared it on the forum, discussed, then the church IT saw the benefit and decided to look into the possibility of adopting the code. I hope everything works out and that the feature can be implemented on the unit sites.

If for whatever reason it doesn't get implemented what about a locally installed version of the tool - something that unit leaders could install on their own machine and then draw from a local list. This way the member lists would not need to be aggregated in a central location. I really think integration into the unit sites would be ideal, but this is just another option in case it doesn't work out.

Let me know if there is any way I can help out. I have web programming experience in several languages and would be happy to help any way I can.

Thanks again for this great forum

-Lincoln
pfnelson

Post by pfnelson »

Good stuff. I ran this on my computer and it works great.

I noticed it must be the membership.cvs from the ward website, not the one from MLS.

Also I had to do some type of Flash security setting acceptance of your script to get it to run (in IE7).

Thank you for posting the server-free version; you were correct, the images didn't do it justice.
:)
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

kevandcan wrote:I've continued to receive a LOT of feedback from folks wanting access to the WardMap I had hosted. I've explained to them I can't, due to the reasons posted earlier in this thread. As such, I created a VBS file that anyone can run on their Windows machine and consume their Ward Member CSV file from LDS.org. It solves the 2 issues posted by Tom and lets folks still have a ward map quickly and easily...without sharing your ward data with anyone.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin!

This is sooooo great! I really like it. I'll be showing it to my Ward this Sunday!!

Thank you for all the hardwork!

BTW - It looks like there are a few members who are not in a Ward on our list. I found them thanks to this!
JasonG-p40

Post by JasonG-p40 »

That's awesome, Kevin.

Thank you.
Jason D. Griffith
Pampa Ward, Amarillo Stake (Texas)
Community Guidelines
pulliae

Post by pulliae »

kevandcan wrote:I've continued to receive a LOT of feedback from folks wanting access to the WardMap I had hosted. I've explained to them I can't, due to the reasons posted earlier in this thread. As such, I created a VBS file that anyone can run on their Windows machine and consume their Ward Member CSV file from LDS.org. It solves the 2 issues posted by Tom and lets folks still have a ward map quickly and easily...without sharing your ward data with anyone.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin...
I was just curious...but...how do you know that yahoo does not keep the names/addresses/phone #'s that you send to create the markers on their map...???
wouldn't that be a security problem if they saved them...i know it doesn't pass anything about being church members...and you could be passing anyones names...but just wanted to make sure...

i haven't looked into it at all yet...no time...but i have a few other questions...
1. can you color code the markers...? blue for ym, green for yw, etc..
2. do you have any instructions on the api?
3. i assume this is your id? do we need our own id's?
"http://maps.yahooapis.com/v3.0/fl/javas ... arkwayward"
4. can we make a different marker for the church building?
5. did they tell you when they were going to implement something like this for the local wards on lds.org
in other words...am i supposed to wait patiently (talks on Sunday ;)) or start playing with this api ?

Thanks...
Edward
kevandcan

Post by kevandcan »

I could not find any information on this, but I highly doubt they store address requests via their web service...just from a purely technical viewpoint, the amount of data they'd be storing would be enormous and wouldn't mean much to them. I know for a fact they do not store IM sessions (had to investigate this as part of my company recently), so I doubt they store map address queries...

In regards to your questions, yes, you could change the colors of the markers based on the data you upload -- I saw a variation of this done by a friend of mine who used my mashup for his stake. High Priests were blue, Elders were red, single homes were yellow, etc.

Instructions on the Yahoo! API are found here: http://developer.yahoo.com/maps/

Yes, this is my app ID. If folks are going to be using the map much, they ought to get their own appID from Yahoo!.

Yes, you can put custom markers for the church, temple, etc. Check out the API.

No timing given me by the church, but I'm hopeful it's soon, so the amount of emails I get will decrease. :)

Thanks
pulliae wrote:Kevin...
I was just curious...but...how do you know that yahoo does not keep the names/addresses/phone #'s that you send to create the markers on their map...???
wouldn't that be a security problem if they saved them...i know it doesn't pass anything about being church members...and you could be passing anyones names...but just wanted to make sure...

i haven't looked into it at all yet...no time...but i have a few other questions...
1. can you color code the markers...? blue for ym, green for yw, etc..
2. do you have any instructions on the api?
3. i assume this is your id? do we need our own id's?
"http://maps.yahooapis.com/v3.0/fl/javas ... arkwayward"
4. can we make a different marker for the church building?
5. did they tell you when they were going to implement something like this for the local wards on lds.org
in other words...am i supposed to wait patiently (talks on Sunday ;)) or start playing with this api ?

Thanks...
Edward
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

This would be a great tool. We've exported ward lists and imported them into mapping software running on the Bishop's laptop. It never quite worked right. Keeping things in synch was difficult and we still needed to touch every contact to make it usable. We were trying to use it for home teaching routes and emergency preparedness and would still like to have some sort of mapping tool that would let us visually see the ward members and map routes.
phxdwl-p40

gis and ward maps.

Post by phxdwl-p40 »

is it ok to use the data, as long as the data is geocoded with localy loaded datasets, and localy loladt loaded gis tools.
Dave L.
Phoenix, Arizona
Specialties:
GIS/viedo Production/3d-modeling/Multimedia
Mr. M-p40

K.I.S.S....my motto!

Post by Mr. M-p40 »

I use a Cingular 2125 PDA data enabled phone, so I know this solution is technology specific but this is what I did. I downloaded the membership directory into my contacts and then downloaded the Google MAPS Pocket PC Beta. Now when I want to find someone I open Google Maps and it has this cool little feature that says lookup contact. I pick who I want to find and it pulls them up on my phone through google maps. It includes all the function for directions etc.

For our ward, I bought a copy of MapPoint and installed it on the MLS machine and then imported all the members into it with some of the special fields mapped too. There is a feature in that that allows you to "draw" shapes on the map and then right click on the shaps and export all the pushpins to excel. I drew grids and exported them out as contact lists.

Voila...instant emergency list. I also allows us to print step by step directions to members houses.

I know that these solutions aren't as fun as a build your own but they serve the purpose and don't require a lot of training to get others to use it. Now our ward clerks can use MapPoint locally to see if someone is in our boundaries and can get through it.

Here is the Google download:
http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-google&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=maps%20mobile

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”