Editing a household unmaps that household

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Editing a household unmaps that household

Post by jdlessley »

An unfortunate side affect of editing either emergency response text field, "Emergency Response" or "Special Needs", for a household is that the household location status changes to unmapped/"unknown location" and the location marker is removed from the map.

It appears that the edit option "Status" is defaulting to "unknown location", the first item on the list for status, when the "Categories" option is edited. The location status should not change unless user input is made.

If a category item is edited then the location status must also be edited to select the status that existed prior to editing to prevent the programming error from changing the location status to "unknown location".

Edit: Well, now the behavior has changed after several hours of testing to compose this post. I returned to LDS Maps to test another issue related to verifying a location and noted the behavior I reported above had changed (household status is not changing after editing emergency response categories). I hope it is because of program changes to Maps and not an issue on my end. The issue reported above had been occurring for over a week while I was verifying and editing emergency response data. I am leaving this post here as a reference should the issue repeat later.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is it always defaulting to "unknown" or does it make a attempt at a default location (as if the member just moved in)?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Is it always defaulting to "unknown" or does it make a attempt at a default location (as if the member just moved in)?
For the issue I described, the actual location (the dot on the map) was not changed until the household detail pup-up was closed by clicking the Submit button. In all cases I had previously verified the household locations days earlier and was attempting to edit the emergency response categories.

The steps I had been using was -
  1. Open the household details pop-up.
  2. Click the Edit link.
  3. Click the Categories button.
  4. Edit one or both of the categories "Emergency Response" and "Special Needs".
  5. Save the changes by clicking the Submit button.
I had not been paying close attention to what was being displayed in the status when editing the categories until I noticed all the households in which I had edited the categories were missing on the map and displayed the unmapped icon in the directory list. That is when I started testing to find out what was happening.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I had not been paying close attention to what was being displayed in the status when editing the categories until I noticed all the households in which I had edited the categories were missing on the map and displayed the unmapped icon in the directory list. That is when I started testing to find out what was happening.

Can you tell if it was always unmapped, or just "reset"? In other words, were they addresses that the geocoder couldn't figure out?

Given the recent thread, I can see an update doing a reset. (It thought you updated the address.) But it would strike me as odd if it always made it unmapped.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Can you tell if it was always unmapped, or just "reset"? In other words, were they addresses that the geocoder couldn't figure out?
All the household locations had been previously verified either as "Exact Location" or "Approximate Location". Since I cannot replicate the issue now it may already be fixed or there may be another parameter or preceding set of conditions that caused the behavior that I am not aware of.
JD Lessley

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”