Access for Ward Assistant Clerks and Ward Executive Secretaries

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marcusbennett wrote:I agree we would have a total mess if there was no systematic approach, but if the clerk approved certain people to edit and those edits were approved it could be similar to the calendar.

Since you don't have edit rights (and I think it's more likely that you'd get released before that ever happens) I'd suggest you forward the information to the membership clerk.

marcusbennett wrote:I have heard rumor that the reason we don't have the ability to edit or view home teaching or visiting teaching assignments online is because there was a mis-communication that somehow the actual performance of home and visiting teaching would be partially automated, which was viewed as unacceptable.

First I've heard if it, and I doubt if it's true. The real problem is that there are a number of things that have to happen. First of all, the back end database for HT/VT teaching routes and visit history has to be created. Then MLS has to be modified to sync the HT/VT information. Currently it doesn't have that capability. Syncing is not a trivial detail. When happens when MLS goes to sync and it finds a conflicting edit on the back end via the web? Perhaps the routes have been changed. That takes a lot of thought to figure out how every possible case should be handled.

Only then can the web tools be created. All that has to be prioritized with all the other things that the church wants their development team to do.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

marcusbennett wrote:I agree we would have a total mess if there was no systematic approach, but if the clerk approved certain people to edit and those edits were approved it could be similar to the calendar.
This approach gives the clerk approval powers he has no authority to grant.

As we have come to recognize from a few years witnessing the rollout of MLS features online there is more concern with privacy and protection of confidential information. The online tools must consider the privacy limitations imposed by every country that has privacy limitations stricter than the U.S. has. Also, access rights are closely aligned with the responsibilities and authority defined in the handbooks.

We are also finding that the priesthood department reviews just about everything. This adds uncertainty to the deployment timelines as well as unexpected issues and delays.
marcusbennett wrote:I have heard rumor that the reason we don't have the ability to edit or view home teaching or visiting teaching assignments online is because there was a mis-communication that somehow the actual performance of home and visiting teaching would be partially automated, which was viewed as unacceptable.
Since the priesthood department has no responsibility to explain their concerns or requirements to us, any speculation only creates rumors. We should not promote those rumors but patiently wait. There is little we can do otherwise.
marcusbennett wrote:Regardless of whether or not this rumor is true, I would presume it is the responsibility of the developers to come up with new solutions, understand the concerns of the brethren and make modifications to address those concerns. I presume that has happened with home and visiting teaching proposals. I would hope the same could happen here with allowing lds.org access rights modification on a local level.
Exactly. The only thing we do know that is being worked on and should hopefully be coming within the next year are access rights to appropriate tools for organization leaders. Even though this has been discussed in many other threads with church employees stating it is coming, we have to realize the Church has limited development resources and a priority list driven by sponsoring Church departments. The priority list may not correlate with our own desires. Without a Church department to sponsor an application, a tool, or a feature, we have little chance of seeing these things come to pass.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”