Leader and Clerk Resources access on new.lds.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:Actually, if you have the ability to change the terms used, I think the term administrator is more appropriate for the current term default approver. That way when there are discussions about administrators (currently default approvers) and approvers there is a differentiation and less confussion. IMHO.
That terminology (from approver to administrator) will change in the upcoming re-design release (prob. 3 months).
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Maybe this is too "individual" but am updating on the status. Sitting at the ward's computer and deleted the entire row for exec sec. Did a send/receive. Then created a new row for exec sec adding my name in that position. Did a send/receive.

Checked online directory and noted that there was no exec sec (so first change "took"). A few minutes later I had appeared as exec sec online so second change "took". Then went to tools and I have nothing for leaders. Access to http://new.lds.org/leader was also denied.

Logged out and logged back in - same deal.

Did the remove row for exec sec at local MLS again, send/receive, add the position back with my name and send receive. Checked online directory in a few minutes and now there are two exec sec positions (both filled by me). Local MLS only shows one. Still have no access to tools and http://new.lds.org/leader is still access denied for me.

Perhaps someone is trying to tell me something.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:A few minutes later I had appeared as exec sec online so second change "took". Then went to tools and I have nothing for leaders. Access to http://new.lds.org/leader was also denied.
Perhaps someone is trying to tell me something.
You're not doing anything wrong -- you're just making an incorrect assumption. As explained in this post, updates to CDOL happen very quickly (as you are seeing), but access to tools takes a day or two after the callings appear in CDOL.

So leave your calling in MLS and CDOL alone, be patient, and soon you should have access to the tools.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Will advise back in a few days.

One thing to note for developers, though. After I had REMOVED the position exec sec and performed a successful send/receive, I recreated the position and assigned the name. When I did that, it gave me a warning that someone already had this position, and asked a confirmation to remove that person's rights and assign them to the person whom I had selected. Of course I confirmed that decision.

But how could someone have had exec sec rights when the position did not even exist in the MLS at that moment in time? Note that the former exec sec mentioned that he received a notice of editor privileges on the calendar (was assigned to exec sec) but this was after he had been removed from MLS as exec sec and I had been inserted.

It's almost as if MLS thought that the former exec sec still had the calling's privileges, regardless of who was assigned to the calling, and perhaps that's why I as the current exec sec had no rights. Somehow MLS still thought that the released person was still in the calling, so wouldn't assign to me?

Hard to figure out, but trying to give as much useful information as I can.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tortdog wrote:One thing to note for developers, though. . . .

It's almost as if MLS thought that the former exec sec still had the calling's privileges, regardless of who was assigned to the calling, and perhaps that's why I as the current exec sec had no rights. Somehow MLS still thought that the released person was still in the calling, so wouldn't assign to me?

Sometimes MLS gets a little confused and keeps things in its memory until you exit the program completely. Perhaps this is one of those cases.

Writing excellent computer code that totally cleans up after something goes away is a rare art.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Day 2 since I deleted exec sec and recreated the position with my name.

Local unit directory still shows 2 exec sec positions (both with my name), while local MLS shows only 1 (with my name).

My tools on lds.org still do not include any for my calling.

I still get "access denied" at http://new.lds.org/leader.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:Local unit directory still shows 2 exec sec positions (both with my name), while local MLS shows only 1 (with my name).
And what does CDOL show? Do you have access to CDOL?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Alan_Brown wrote:And what does CDOL show? Do you have access to CDOL?
Yes, I do have access to CDOL. It shows the same as the local unit directory, with two exec secs, both being me.

Below follow the details on each of the duplicate assignments from CDOL:

Last updated by cdol-sys on 12/15/10 6:05 AM

Last updated by cdol-sys on 12/15/10 6:14 AM
bryce@buchanan6.com

Post by bryce@buchanan6.com »

tortdog wrote:Day 2 since I deleted exec sec and recreated the position with my name.

Local unit directory still shows 2 exec sec positions (both with my name), while local MLS shows only 1 (with my name).

My tools on lds.org still do not include any for my calling.

I still get "access denied" at http://new.lds.org/leader.
Please continue to update. I'm in a similar position. 5 days and waiting since callings were added in MLS (website administrator and ward assistant clerk) with no change in lds.org tools. Callings appear in directory, access to CDOL ok, but doesn't seem to have "taken" on lds.org.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

The techie in our Stake Presidency has advised me that sometimes it seems it takes 4-5 times of submitting the calling before it "takes". He's very technical oriented, and he has not been able to figure out a reason.

He's stumped.

I'm going to just be patient and wait to see if anything changes. In the meantime, I don't have to do as much so all is good!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”