Page 3 of 10

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:04 pm
by aebrown
tomjohnson1492 wrote:We published some information about the Leader Portal on the wiki at https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Leader_Portal. If you still have access issues or unanswered questions, let me know and I'll add it to the wiki page.


The wiki article uses the rather vague phrase "as well as their corresponding clerks and secretaries" to describe who can access the Leader Portal beyond the unit leaders. Since that has been a specific point of confusion (can assistant clerks access the leader tools? -- the answer currently is "not all of them"), it seems like more specific language would be helpful.

re: assistant clerk access

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:22 pm
by tomjohnson1492-p40
I thought they did have access. I'll find out for sure and update the wiki. Thanks for bringing this up.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:56 pm
by jonesrk
tomjohnson1492 wrote:I thought they did have access. I'll find out for sure and update the wiki. Thanks for bringing this up.

Most of them do. The finance clerks and the stake technology specialists are they ones that don't.

Alan_Brown wrote:The wiki article uses the rather vague phrase "as well as their corresponding clerks and secretaries" to describe who can access the Leader Portal beyond the unit leaders. Since that has been a specific point of confusion (can assistant clerks access the leader tools? -- the answer currently is "not all of them"), it seems like more specific language would be helpful.


But here it is very useful to have an exact list. That way as people have questions we can answer them correctly.

BTW Thanks for getting the information out there on the wiki.

re: access

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:06 pm
by tomjohnson1492-p40
All clerks, both assistant and regular clerks, and all secretaries, both assistant and regular secretaries, should have access. If you're an assistant clerk or secretary, can you try accessing the portal? If you don't have access, it's not by design. Either the site isn't working correctly, or your calling in MLS isn't entered as a standard calling.

One role I don't know about is the stake tech specialist (STS). I think the STS is a stake clerk, but I'm not sure if the system recognizes the STS as a type of clerk.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:23 pm
by jonesrk
tomjohnson1492 wrote:All clerks, both assistant and regular clerks, and all secretaries, both assistant and regular secretaries, should have access. If you're an assistant clerk or secretary, can you try accessing the portal? If you don't have access, it's not by design. Either the site isn't working correctly, or your calling in MLS isn't entered as a standard calling.

One role I don't know about is the stake tech specialist (STS). I think the STS is a stake clerk, but I'm not sure if the system recognizes the STS as a type of clerk.


With the last release they added Councilors and 'assistant clerks' after the release, there were issues discussed here in the forums and between the feedback here and an email I sent to Marlin (I'm forwarding it to you), we found out that all Stake/District/Ward/Branch Assistant Clerk - Finance, Stake/District Assistant Clerk - Technology Specialist were not included. Hopefully the Technology Specialists will be added soon.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm
by slmsz20
I was originally called as an assistant stake clerk and then became the Stake tech specialist when they started doing the meeting house internet. I still did both callings (some of us just ask for big work loads). When the new directory site came online I wondered if the STS would cause problems since it is not really listed as a regular clerk, so we added assistant clerk back as one of my callings. It is kind of wierd that I am listed as two callings but it seemed to have worked in giving the correct access.

In conclusion, I have both callings listed under my name and I can currently see the leadership site starting with this version. Hope that helps if anyone is having issues, this might be a workaround until STS is added to the access list.

Posted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:32 pm
by aebrown
ryan jones wrote:we found out that all Stake/District/Ward/Branch Assistant Clerk - Finance, Stake/District Assistant Clerk - Technology Specialist were not included. Hopefully the Technology Specialists will be added soon.


Hopefully financial clerks will be added as well. I find this distinction among the assistant clerks to be rather odd and not in harmony with the handbook. There is no calling on the chart of callings for any kind of assistant clerk other than simply "assistant clerk." I was called and set apart simply as an assistant stake clerk. My assignments have changed over the years I have served, as the stake president has determined. I was not serving as the financial clerk at first, but that assignment was added later. I did not have to be sustained or set apart again when I received that assignment, for I was already an assistant clerk.

If my stake president asked me to do something in the realm of membership, I would never say, "Sorry, President, I'm just the financial clerk and STS. That's not my job." So I don't see why Church websites are effectively giving me that message.

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 am
by markgnorthcott
Is it the intention of this tool in the future for the stake leadership, bishopric and clerks to be able to control who gets access to the different modules that are available, like it is currently done in MLS?

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:50 am
by kd7mha
markgnorthcott wrote:Is it the intention of this tool in the future for the stake leadership, bishopric and clerks to be able to control who gets access to the different modules that are available, like it is currently done in MLS?


Everything I have seen points to access based on Standard MLS callings.

From the callings section of the WIKI:
When assigning a member to a position, use a standard position whenever possible. Some Church Web sites will look for a standard position linked to a member name when establishing rights and responsibilities in using the Web site. Therefore, please make sure no standard position exists before creating a custom position.

Emphasis added.

re: access

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:26 am
by tomjohnson1492-p40
The wiki has information about callings with access to the Leader Portal. One reason financial clerks don't have access is because the financial section of MLS hasn't yet transitioned online.