Leader and Clerk Resources access on new.lds.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
greenwoodkl

Handbook 1 and MLS Functionality

Post by greenwoodkl »

I read on the Church Newsroom the following:
The other volume of the handbook, which contains relatively few changes, will be used primarily by bishops and stake presidents (leaders who oversee the work of several bishops). It will also be placed on the Church’s website with other resources specifically used only by these leaders.
I wonder if there are plans to release the text of Handbook 1 on to the Leaders portion of the website as it appears to hint in the last sentence of this paragraph?

Additionally, I'm wondering if there is any roadmap of MLS functionality being moved to the Leaders site? I am amazed and grateful for the amazing information already available. However, I would appreciate a day when some of the functionality of my clerk calling is accessible through the site (requesting/modifying records, updating callings) so I could work on those from home and not compete for computer time on Sunday. Usually if I'm looking up information on a member or a statistic, I want to then perform an action based on what I find in the data. It almost feels like I only have one piece of the puzzle, the input, with no ability to produce output.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

kgthunder wrote:I wonder if there are plans to release the text of Handbook 1 on to the Leaders portion of the website as it appears to hint in the last sentence of this paragraph?
Another forum member confirmed to me that this is already the case. However, he is not a clerk, so I don't know how that shakes down on the permissions front for you.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kgthunder wrote: However, I would appreciate a day when some of the functionality of my clerk calling is accessible through the site (requesting/modifying records, updating callings) so I could work on those from home and not compete for computer time on Sunday.
It is coming. Part of the modifying records is there already. In new.lds.org/directory you can change phone numbers and email addresses.
The updating callings piece almost got released with the last release of mls online, but there were a few issues with the data syncing nicely with mls on the ward computer.
tomjohnson1492-p40

re: MLS

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

Additionally, I'm wondering if there is any roadmap of MLS functionality being moved to the Leaders site?
I'm in the process of writing an article about MLS Web. Basically, the goal of the first phase is to transition over the read-only reports, member information, and other static details. This has already been done, for the most part. The second phase involves transitioning over membership clerk functionality to write back to church databases. Finally, the third phase will transition over financial clerk's functions and tools. Eventually everything in MLS Classic will be available on MLS Web. The goal is to complete the transition by the end of 2011, but I'm not sure if that date will hold.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:I'm in the process of writing an article about MLS Web.
By "article" it sounds like it will be published. Where will this appear?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

mkmurray wrote:Another forum member confirmed to me that this is already the case. However, he is not a clerk, so I don't know how that shakes down on the permissions front for you.
Well I managed to find Book 1 on the church site, fairly easily, without even logging in!?

The web team need to close that loophole asap.
tomjohnson1492-p40

Post by tomjohnson1492-p40 »

It will be published either in the LDS Tech articles section or the wiki. I'm actually wondering about the redundancy of information channels. Wiki articles have longer life and serve as reference information, while blogs serve as news channels. Maybe the blog should highlight and excerpt new content from the wiki?
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

tomjohnson1492 wrote:It will be published either in the LDS Tech articles section or the wiki.
I look forward to reading the details. However, I continue to wonder if there are stakes not yet aware of the treasure trove of information available through the Forum and Wiki. I suspect there are many clerks that have no idea what is available to them by signing in to new.LDS.org.

When the article is published, maybe an MLS message promoting it would be helpful. We know clerks read all their MLS messages, right?
JLR
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JLRose wrote:I continue to wonder if there are stakes not yet aware of the treasure trove of information available through the Forum and Wiki. I suspect there are many clerks that have no idea what is available to them by signing in to new.LDS.org.
I do not believe I would know much at all about new.LDS.org unless I haunted this forum.

I am not very familiar with the Wiki because I usually have difficulty creating the right search phrase to find the information I need. More often than not, I search the Wiki, then give up and find the answer I need by searching the Forum. Go figure.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I do not believe I would know much at all about new.LDS.org unless I haunted this forum.

I am not very familiar with the Wiki because I usually have difficulty creating the right search phrase to find the information I need. More often than not, I search the Wiki, then give up and find the answer I need by searching the Forum. Go figure.
The wiki search is admittedly not very good. But Google is your friend. Just search for "site:tech.lds.org/wiki <search terms>" and you'll find relevant wiki articles.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”