Mark Account somehow to see LCR?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
geekiemommie

Mark Account somehow to see LCR?

Post by geekiemommie »

Currently, my ward has me listed at the "Relief Society Assistant Secretary" so I'm able to access Leadership and Clerk Resources. They do that because I need to see the move-ins, move-outs, and birthdays. I'm in charge of texting different groups of the ward for reminders, I put birthdays on the bulletin, make sure pictures are added to the ward directory, and phone and email are up-to-date. Really, anything that has to do with data :)

Just wondering if they could put me under a different calling or somehow mark my account somehow so I'm able to see the Leadership and Clerk Resources?

Thanks for your time!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Mark Account somehow to see LCR?

Post by lajackson »

geekiemommie wrote:Just wondering if they could put me under a different calling or somehow mark my account somehow so I'm able to see the Leadership and Clerk Resources?
You have access because you have been recorded as having a calling that gives access. There is not a way in the system to give access to someone who does not have a calling that requires it. In other words, no, there is no way to mark an account for access. The access comes automatically with the calling.

There are a few other situations where leaders deem that access is needed, and a calling is recorded that gives that access, even though the person has not actually been called and sustained in the calling. In most cases I have seen, the person could very well function in the actual calling. In reality, they are doing a part of the calling without having the official calling.

In your case, it appears you would make a fine Relief Society Assistant Secretary, and you have been assigned to that calling because you are doing part of the work that comes with that calling, even though you may not have been sustained to that position. That is how they have managed to get you access to the information you need to serve in your corner of the vineyard.
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

Thanks for the great response! Yes, I'm not actually the RS Assistant Secretary, but the clerk didn't know what else to do. But when I send out emails, it says, "It was sent by Brenda Hatch, whose calling is Relief Society Assistant Secretary." It confuses some people because they think I'm in the RS presidency. I really wish the calling "Website Administrator" had access to the data that I need. You think it would.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Church units are expected to function as described by the Handbook. While leaders have some discretion in how they organize the lower levels of their organization, they don't have flexibility when it comes to granting access to personal information. I personally believe this is for legal reasons as many countries are taking personal privacy seriously and at some point the Church will have to defend it's access policies in court.

"Website Administrator" is a calling that exists, but not found in the Handbook. I suspect it will disappear at some point since it currently appears it's rights are identical to calendar administrator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

Every Sunday morning I send out the ward email with the Sunday bulletin and weekly announcements. I just wish it didn't say "It was sent by Brenda H, whose calling is Relief Society Assistant Secretary." at the bottom. It's confusing that I'm part of the RS presidency, but I'm not.

Can anyone think of a different calling I could be given for doing these tasks? I am the Ward Website Administrator, but why doesn't the email say that at the end?

Thanks for your time!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

geekiemommie wrote:I am the Ward Website Administrator, but why doesn't the email say that at the end?
Because that calling doesn't grant access to send a message.

I can't think of any calling you could be placed in that wouldn't be just as confusing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

Since they want us to NOT do announcements over the pulpit anymore, I wish there was something that could be done besides me having to be listed as the "RS assistant secretary".
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

geekiemommie wrote:Since they want us to NOT do announcements over the pulpit anymore, I wish there was something that could be done besides me having to be listed as the "RS assistant secretary".
If the bishop wants to use the Send a Message tool to communicate out to the ward members, I believe he should make that assignment to someone who has access as directed by the Brethren. There is nothing wrong with you sending out communications, but your *actual* calling does not permit use of the Send A Message tool to do that. My recommendation would be to put together the message and pass it to a member of the Relief Society Presidency or RS Secretary to send it out as they are permitted by their calling to use the Send A Message tool. Likely very few, if any, of those here on this user-to-user help forum knows the reason the Send A Message tool is not more widely available.

In our ward, our Executive Secretary has been assigned by the Bishop to send a mid-week email blast to the ward members with most of the ward information. I am not privy to communications made by individual organizations (RS, Primary, etc) to their members. We have eliminated most announcements on Sunday, but if something is important or urgent for the entire ward, we announce it after the Sacrament Meeting closing prayer as advised by our Stake President. I noticed last week that it seems most of the members in all 3 wards in our building tend to wait a few minutes now after Sacrament Meeting ends to see if a bishopric member steps to the podium for an announcement.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

geekiemommie wrote:Since they want us to NOT do announcements over the pulpit anymore, I wish there was something that could be done besides me having to be listed as the "RS assistant secretary".
There are no other options to do what you are describing.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”