'Send a Message' application is no longer sending confirmation emails to the sender

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
2cougars

'Send a Message' application is no longer sending confirmation emails to the sender

Post by 2cougars »

Previously, when using the 'Send a Message' application, I would receive a confirmation email after sending a message. Beginning a few weeks ago, this is no longer happening even though the application says that I will receive a confirmation email once the message has been sent.

The messages are being delivered to the intended recipients, I am just not receiving a copy/confirmation of the email that was sent like I used to.

I use a byu.net email forwarding service with gmail.com as my underlying email server.

I have verified that the confirmation emails are not being caught by either the filter.byu.net or the gmail.com spam filters.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: 'Send a Message' application is no longer sending confirmation emails to the sender

Post by sbradshaw »

The help page for BYU email aliases says that "on occasion emails sent through aliases may fail due to provider security standards." More and more email services are moving towards stronger DMARC policies to prevent email spoofing. Most likely, either BYU.net email forwarding isn't keeping up with the latest security standards, or email forwarding in general is "going the way of all the earth" in favor of better security standards (I'm not an expert in DMARC policies so I don't know if it's possible for an email forwarding service to to be set up with the latest security standards as "trusted").
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 'Send a Message' application is no longer sending confirmation emails to the sender

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:The help page for BYU email aliases says that "on occasion emails sent through aliases may fail due to provider security standards."
In other words, the gmail account is receiving an email that claims to be from "churchofjesuschrist.org", but is not coming from their server. (It's coming from byu.edu). At that point, the email could very well be ignored/refused upon delivery and wouldn't show up in the gmail spam filter.

If the forwarding service has any kind of logs, you could check to see if that's what's happening.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
2cougars

Post by 2cougars »

Thanks for the replies. What's interesting is that I have had other messages from the church (e.g. donation notifications) and other companies that have been caught by either the byu.net spam filter or by the gmail spam filter, but I haven't had the situation where the message doesn't show up in one of the two places. The fact that the messages aren't showing up in either place led me to believe that maybe they weren't being sent out.
2cougars

Post by 2cougars »

I found another thread dealing with a similar issue: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=31531&p=183209&hil ... ng#p183209
I just posted an update there.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”