Remove "Household E-mail" addresses

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
1Poochh

Remove "Household E-mail" addresses

Post by 1Poochh »

I have worked in depth as a membership clerk and now an Exec Sec in the Ward I reside. I use the send message feature in LCR constantly, but I am realizing many of our members are confused about why, or why not, they are getting my emails. It seems that most are confused that there are two fields, Household email, and Individual email.

I haven't quite figured out the use-case for a household email address. I even went as far as creating a distribution list for my family so everyone got those emails, but it isn't really helpful.

My perspective might be limited here but I am married and have two young kids. Is there a perspective I am not thinking about here?

Have there been discussions to merge household email and individual email and just have a single email field so it is clear you will be contacted on this one specific email address. Please let me know your thoughts here.
klricks

Re: Remove "Household E-mail" addresses

Post by klricks »

My vote would be to eliminate the household email and use only the individual email.

There is similar confusion with household vs individual phone numbers. The household phone number is only useful to those who still have a landline.
I don't know how many times I have been asked by Ward members why their email and/or phone is not listed when it actually is there in the individual fields.
The problem is that the tools app defaults to household contact info, so if the household fields are blank, then nothing is shown until the individuals name is clicked on.
Assistant Ward Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Some couples share a email address. I'm not sure if it's possible for them to both have the same individual email (since it's tied to the Church Account and it requires all emails to be unique.)

A Household email comes in handy if you're trying to reach a family member who doesn't have an individual address. Presumably the "household" email goes to the person who will pass the message on. In some cases it might be the husband, in others, it might be the wife. It's about what works for that family.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We have a household email address that we share (my wife and I). We also each have individual email addresses that we each use for things such as church calling, job items, etc.
In our ward, many families don't have a landline, but they list one spouses phone number as both a household number and a personal number. Usually is is the wife and presumably it is for all general family calls, calls from schools for the kids, etc. Some still do have a land line and they DO NOT want it commingled with their personal cell number.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”