Ministering - Relief Society

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
bondimond

Ministering - Relief Society

Post by bondimond »

I'm the RS secretary for a large ward (145 RS/YW ministers). I do not like the assignment cards generated by lds.org's ministering site. My issue is that they pull all of the family info for each sister making the cards nearly a full sheet of paper. Not interested in going through reams of paper when all that is needed on the card is name phone # address and birthday, not all that info for everyone in the family. I really do not want to type hundreds of cards by hand to make it look like what I need. So I'm hoping someone can help me with formulas so we can customize our own ministering cards off of our spreadsheet or can tell me how to customize cards off of lds.org. Most members do not have the correct phone # in household phone field and usually have nothing in individual phone field. Right now the pre-set assignment cards pull data from the individual phone field on their record. That means I'll be writing in a lot of phone #'s by hand as that field is usually blank for our membership. Is there a way to change the field from individual phone to the household phone field. Is there a way to not print all the info on every member of the household, just the RS sister's info in the household? I'm afraid we would be using reams of paper to print cards as large as being automatically generated by lds.org.

Any way to customize those automatically generated assignment cards in lds.org?

Does anyone have an easier way with formulas on an excel spreadsheet for this that I can look at so we can customize our own cards off of our spreadsheet info that we keep with current phone #'s etc for RS and not include all the data for every family member in the house etc that is generated with the lds.org version? What formulas would I use if I were to create custom cards off our own database?

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here :)
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Ministering - Relief Society

Post by scgallafent »

To answer your question: No, there isn't a way for you to customize the formatting.
bondimond wrote:our spreadsheet info that we keep with current phone #'s
Why don't you have members update their information in LDS Tools or Directory so that the information is reflected in the ward records instead of maintaining a separate spreadsheet? If you're maintaining information on a separate spreadsheet, that information is not going to be displayed on reports coming from Leader and Clerk Resources.
bondimond

Post by bondimond »

Have you ever tried to get 145 people to log into their lds.org account and then find individual phone field instead of household phone, etc. ? That is not going to happen. We also minister to non-LDS neighbors that live within our neighborhood/ward boundaries. Contact info for non LDS neighbors can also not be included on the lds.org database. Just easier to keep a separate database from the data that is on lds.org. The Elders quorum has devoted several lessons to updating info on LDS.org with very few measurable results. Right now, the Bishop has decided to get updated information during tithing settlement. People are more likely to update a list of phone numbers on a directory passed around in a binder during Relief Society/YW/Primary than log into lds.org and update their information.

Since the format for RS Ministering is currently to individuals not to households (as it is with the EQ format), I would suggest updating the assignment print out feature to include information on the individuals only, not the entire household for each individual.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The clerk can update the contract information as long as it's clear that's what the individual members want.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bondimond

Post by bondimond »

Yes, we plan to get permission to do updates during the next wave or EQ/RS ministering interviews. That project is being addressed.
But right now, I would like to be able to print ministering assignment cards with phone numbers and only the individuals information on it not he entire household. Thought I would ask here to see if there as a way to do that. Evidently there is not. I also thought I would ask here as many are proficient in databases etc on this tech site. Thought someone might be able to help me create what I want out of our database if lds.org did not have the feature I needed. It looks like that is what I will have to do - create my own ministering assignment cards out of our separate database. Or i could use reams of paper and print assignment cards as included on lds.org and attach a print out of our RS phone directory.
nmecantwin73

Post by nmecantwin73 »

bondimond wrote:Since the format for RS Ministering is currently to individuals not to households (as it is with the EQ format), I would suggest updating the assignment print out feature to include information on the individuals only, not the entire household for each individual.
I think this is a great suggestion. If you haven't already, it would be best to submit that feedback on the page in LCR where assignments are printed detailing your suggestion (bottom of the page). That way the right people can see it and can (hopefully) do something with it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bondimond wrote:I also thought I would ask here as many are proficient in databases etc on this tech site.
Yes, they are, but extracting data from the church systems to put into local databases is frowned upon. I doubt if there's anything to stop manual cut and paste, but automated tools are likely to get shut down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lupferk

Post by lupferk »

Does anyone have a spreadsheet they use for ministering sisters so the RS presidency can see at a glance sisters companions and who they minister to?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Have they looked at the Ministering Assignments Summary report? They can get there under the ministering menu as well.
naomicarissa

Post by naomicarissa »

Any open source techy database person OR a developer on the TOOLS app team (or other) this is what the sisters are asking for:

Us sisters understand it is GREAT to use the Tools app and just look at our ministering assignments. We understand how awesome it is to just email them out or print out all those sheets of paper with the tons of information and then cut them and give them. BUT...what if you did something amazing and CUTE for the sisters (or brothers depending on the background templates you can have available :D ) We are all thinking credit card size we can put in our wallets. Like a temple recommend we can fold in half. I am attaching an example of what an outcome would be. However, you can do it different and then you'd be able to add a field for a forth sister (or fifth, oh man...I feel for you sisters that have this!) and also a field for birthdates possibly. Have the ability to edit it so that once the data is all loaded to all the cards we can put in a correct phone number here or there (since Tools/church data isn't always correct or up-to-date). What do you think sisters? Are you thinking what we are thinking?

#TOOLS #ministeringassignments #ministeringcard
Sample Ministering Card
Sample Ministering Card
Ministering Card.png (121.64 KiB) Viewed 870 times
Last edited by naomicarissa on Thu May 04, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”