Sex VS Gender on lds.org reports

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
fjseminario

Sex VS Gender on lds.org reports

Post by fjseminario »

When I go into the "Leader and Clerk Resources" and choose "Member List" I get the follwing
NAME GENDER AGE BIRTH DATE PHONE NUMBER E-MAIL
Doe, Jane F 49 30 May 1969 818-714-3234 janedoe@gmail.com
Doe, Joe M 45 12 Jan 1965 818-744-3542 johndoe@gmail.com
As you can see under Gender you are really showing Sex, F for Female and M for Male
1- You either need to change the Title to say SEX
2- Or Change the individual Record to say Man or Woman.

When I switch to Spanish, the title is translated to say SEXO but the individual record says M (Mujer) and V (Varon)
which it realy is Gender
NOMBRE SEXO EDAD FECHSA DE NACIMIENTO NUMERO DE TELEFONO CORREO ELECTRONICO
Doe, Jane M 49 30 May 1969 818-714-3234 janedoe@gmail.com
Doe, Joe V 45 12 Jan 1965 818-744-3542 johndoe@gmail.com

Either way you have it wrong.
In English you, you need to decide what you want to show, Gender or Sex
If title says Gender, then you need to show M for Man and W for Woman for each member
If title says Sex, then you need to show M for Male and F for Female for each member
In Spanish you need to decide what to Show Gender of Sex as well
If Title says GENERO (Gender) then you need to show M for MUJER (Woman) and V for VARON (Man)
If title says SEXO (Sex) then you need to show M for MASCULINO (Male) and F for FEMENINO (Female)
I don't think this is a matter of it being translated wrong, I think this is a matter of not understanding the Meaning
of the titles (Gender versus Sex.
Thanks
Fernando Seminario
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sex VS Gender on lds.org reports

Post by russellhltn »

FJSeminario wrote:As you can see under Gender you are really showing Sex, F for Female and M for Male
I've checked "gender" in three different dictionaries and all them use the term "male" and "female" as part of the definition, not "man" and "woman".

I'll defer to someone else when it comes to the Spanish.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

That is exactly the problem, I don't know what Dictionaries you have look at but type "Sex vs Gender" or "difference between Sex and Gender", and you will see what I mean Sex and Gender are definitively different. this is what I found "The difference between sex and gender is that sex is a biological concept based on biological characteristics, whereas gender deals with personal, societal and cultural perceptions of sexuality. There has been a lot of talk in recent months and years about gender and sex, particularly with the modern, progressive world in which we now live, where flexible ideas of gender and identity are beginning to flourish around the world. Human beings are no longer bound by such binary concepts as male-female, masculine-feminine, or man-woman. Centuries and millennia of social tradition and scientific belief are now being challenged by these ideas, which makes it all the more important to understand the difference.
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

There is a movement that is trying to change the roles of man and woman in society, namely Gender identity, but they would never be able to change the biological definition of Sex, it will always be Male or Female. for humans you can call them Man and Women for gender, and male and female for Sex, but in the animal kingdom, they are referred to as Male and female, You will never refer to a Monkey as a man or women monkey, they are referred as Male or female monkey, so there is a big difference.
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

Historically, the terms "sex" and "gender" have been used interchangeably, but their uses are becoming increasingly distinct, and it is important to understand the differences between the two.
This article will look at the meaning of "sex" and the differences between the sexes. It will also look at the meaning of "gender," and the concepts of gender roles, gender identity, and gender expression.

In general terms, "sex" refers to the biological differences between males and females, such as the genitalia and genetic differences.

"Gender" is more difficult to define, but it can refer to the role of a male or female in society, known as a gender role, or an individual's concept of themselves, or gender identity.

Sometimes, a person's genetically assigned sex does not line up with their gender identity. These individuals might refer to themselves as transgender, non-binary, or gender-nonconforming.
See the problem I am referring to?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

FJSeminario wrote:Sometimes, a person's genetically assigned sex does not line up with their gender identity. These individuals might refer to themselves as transgender, non-binary, or gender-nonconforming.
See the problem I am referring to?
Ok, but how do you propose we verify sex? That's going to lead to some uncomfortable situations.

I looked, but couldn't find current church policy on sex-change operations.

Bottom line, I'm not sure as the use of "gender" is incorrect. There may have been a lot more thought given to the term than we're giving credit for.

At any rate, it's not something this forum can take on. If you feel that strongly, I'd suggest using the feedback link on the lds.org page or take it up with your priesthood leaders to send up the chain of authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I looked, but couldn't find current church policy on sex-change operations.
Handbook 1 Section 6.7.2 and 16.3.16
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

What I am trying to direct my attention to is that there is a difference, we can choose either one but to label what is being shown as what it is
If you show GENDER then list for each member whether they are Man or Woman
If you are going to show SEX then list for each member Male or Female
fjseminario

Post by fjseminario »

But I have, I called the correlation department and they do have a position on the subject, but that is not what i am trying to accomplish here, it is not important what my feelings on the matter are, I was just trying to point out that they are not interchangeable, and that the site is not showing it properly. I will make a suggestion on the feedback link . I was not trying to impose whatever my position was, (I do have one)
As in my previous replies I am not opposed to showing either just that should be shown correctly. i might have use this forum by mistake, I thought that if I mentioned it here that it would be brought up to the proper department to take a look at and there is no need to take it up with any Priesthood leaders because i am not trying to change Policy, just the proper information under a title.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

FJSeminario wrote:i might have use this forum by mistake, I thought that if I mentioned it here that it would be brought up to the proper department to take a look at and there is no need to take it up with any Priesthood leaders because i am not trying to change Policy, just the proper information under a title.
No, the forums are just for user-to-user help and discussions. It is not a channel to suggest changes or report bugs. The Feedback link is the appropriate channel for that.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”