"Send a message" not consistent - not delivered

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davesudweeks

Re: "Send a message" not consistent - not delivered

Post by davesudweeks »

I regularly use this to send messages to our ward council (once per month or two, depending on communication assignments from the bishop). I have not personally verified delivery, but when it is brought up about the information sent, no one claims they did not receive it. I have always received a confirmation email that my message was sent.

I'm not a software person, but I'm wondering if there is something different between how the tool works on the ward level as opposed to the stake level. All ward council members are members of the ward (by record or out-of-unit record). All High Council members are normally members of different wards. Perhaps that has an effect on how it functions.
khowaito

Post by khowaito »

I am the stake clerk and send a weekly email bulletin to all adult members in the stake (~1700 members). It seems to reach most members of the stake. However, my wife stopped receiving it recently and also in not receiving similar messages from the bishop sent to all ward members via the Send a Message tool. I have thoroughly checked her spam filter and it is not in there. I try sending a test message to just myself and her and I immediately receive it, plus the confirmation message that it was sent, but nothing comes to her email. I can send directly to her email from my email. I am believing it is either "send a message" not sending it out or some filter catching it that I'm not aware of. I don't have the reply all box checked.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is she using a email forwarding service like byu.net? A few have reported problems with that. Not everything filtered out goes into the spam folder. If there's an error with the header (such as the email coming from a server that doesn't match the "from"), it is discarded.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
timothytsai

Post by timothytsai »

I also see the problem with Send a Message email not getting delivered to my gmail account via my byu.net. The messages disappear without appearing in spam filters at byu.net or gmail.

Reading the history of this thread led me to try using Send a Message email with "reply to all" checked. With "reply to all" I saw a bounced message from byu.net indicating that byu.net had tried to forward the email to gmail but had failed the gmail check for legitimate email:

host
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[74.125.20.27] said: 550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated
email from churchofjesuschrist.org is not accepted due 550-5.7.1 to
domain's DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of 550-5.7.1
churchofjesuschrist.org domain if this was a legitimate mail. Please
550-5.7.1 visit 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690
to learn about the 550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. q8si22317345pll.87 - gsmtp
(in reply to end of DATA command)
junyur

Post by junyur »

I just stumbled on this thread as a result of having the same issue in our stake recently. No one was getting the emails the stake was sending to the ward organizations.

I have tested with or without checking the 'reply to all' box and can't confirm yet if that makes a difference or not. What has made a difference is breaking up the emails in smaller groups. So unfortunately sending a message to all stake organizations in one shot is not working as it should, so I have broken it down to sending an email to smaller groups at a time (alot of copying and pasting). I email all ward relief society presidencies in the stake in one shot, all Elder's quorum presidencies in the stake in one shot, etc etc. This is cumbersome but so far it has worked. I have included the stake presidency in all the smaller email groups and they have all confirmed they have received the email when broken down this way. They were not getting the other larger mass group emails we were sending.

I will continue to test this way to confirm but so far it seems to work. Wish we could get someone to take a look at this to fix. I believe it is a glitch that is happening due to sending such a large mass email at one time. Maybe there is a limitation as to how many emails it can send out at one time even though that is what it was designed to do. Break it down to smaller groups and it seems to work with or without checking the 'reply to all' box.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

junyur wrote:Wish we could get someone to take a look at this to fix. I believe it is a glitch that is happening due to sending such a large mass email at one time. Break it down to smaller groups and it seems to work.
Your best option to get someone to take a look at this is to post feedback and provide your information from the send a message page. The developers may never see your post here and others set their priorities. Feedback is read and distributed to the appropriate leaders to consider the developer's priorities.

Another option is to ask your stake president to bring it up as a concern in his coordinating council.
shaunaswinyard

Post by shaunaswinyard »

I am also having a similar problem. I can send a message to all the sisters, but I know at least one (the RS president) is not getting the message. She gets the message when I send it only to her, or only to the RS presidency. I am wondering who else is not getting the messages? It is very cumbersome and time consuming to break it up, especially because you have to cut and paste and reformat each time.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

We are seeing something similar. Our new RS secretary is using Send a Message to send a PDF to all the sisters. However, those who have windstream.net email addresses are not receiving such messages. I think they can receive messages without attachments, and I think they can receive messages directed only to them. It's not a huge problem, but I have to have an answer ready for all occasions as the ward clerk.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
meissnernorbert

Post by meissnernorbert »

Hello, everybody,
I am a Stake Exec Sec in a German Stake and am strugeling with all the a.m. as well. Often it makes me frustrated and my calling difficult.
I am glad to see that I'm not alone, but it doesn't solve the problems. I suggested to my Stake President to induce a regular meeting for Stake Clerks or Stake Exec Sec's on level of German speaking Stakes (similar the Stake President's council) in order to talk about problems described above (maybe not quarterly but semi-annual or annual). And then present the results/problems/challenges etc. to the Area Presidency to forward it to the departments involved.
Because we as Stake Officers, not matter in what calling, have no possibility to change anything.
My intention was rejected by the Area Seventy: this council is not necessary and would inflate the number of meetings. But we in this forum have no platform of someone who reads it and solves the problem. Like IT dept. etc.
Now I don't care anymore about problems like such, I send out what I have to send, that's it. Simply relaxed. Sorry, but sometimes one becomes pragmatic :-)

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”