"Send a message" not consistent - not delivered

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
markaaronritcher

"Send a message" not consistent - not delivered

Post by markaaronritcher »

I am an Executive Stake Clerk.

I often have to send out emails to various groups; sometimes to the whole stake.

Some of these emails are not being received. This is confirmed through reliable sources.

What is interesting is that it is not always the same persons; sometimes they get it and sometimes they don't.

Any thoughts?

They have checked their junk/spam folders as well.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: "Send a message" not consistent - not delivered

Post by scgallafent »

Do you get a notification email after message sending is complete?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

One other thing to check: some email providers/clients do not put spam/junk in a spam or junk folder - they delete it altogether. Usually there is a setting that can change that behavior but lack of the e-mail in their spam or junk folder does not prove it was not sent to them and automatically deleted by their email client or provider.
markaaronritcher

Post by markaaronritcher »

i do not think it is due to settings since sometimes they get the email and sometimes not.

Also, I do get notification of the emails being sent.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

markaaronritcher wrote:Also, I do get notification of the emails being sent.
Does the email tell you that there were any rejections?

When you send a "not reply all" message, LCR sends the messages in a loop in the background. Once the messages have been sent, it sends the confirmation message to let you know that the background process is complete and report any messages that weren't accepted by the mail server. If you're not getting rejections in the confirmation email, that means the message was accepted for delivery by the Church mail server and is no longer in the hands of LCR.
zoomiest

Post by zoomiest »

I also have received that feedback, that group messages are not consistently received.
This is such a shame, because the interface is so nice.
I have resorted to copying all E-mail addresses from the Directory "E-mail all Elders" and copying the addresses into G-mail.

What is being done to correct this? I vote for this issue to be prioritized to the top.
patresehuff

Post by patresehuff »

I also vote that it be prioritized to the top.

I don't know if this is the place to ask for help, but I'm a Stake Relief Society president consistently NOT receiving the emails of my stake presidency and other leaders when sent in a large group from LCR. Can someone help correct this? Is there some freakiness about the way my calling is linked to my email? I have the technological rights to see Stake reports as and stuff on LDS Tools when I log in, but I'm not receiving emails when "Stake RS president" is chosen. (My email address is listed as Stake visibility. There are no messages in my spam.) It seems to me that a message sent to only me through LCR will get to me, but not a group message. Can someone please help? Thanks.
davepeterson

Post by davepeterson »

I am a counselor in a stake presidency. Whenever any member of the presidency use s"Send a Message" and check the "Allow recipients to reply to all" checkbox, the consistent result is that we get a confirmation email that the message was sent, but 100% of the time not a single recipient receives the message. This is very consistent behavior. If we don't check that checkbox, delivery works to the intended recipients. Any ideas why that "allow reply all" flag would cause nothing to actually be sent? Thanks in advance...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DavePeterson wrote:Any ideas why that "allow reply all" flag would cause nothing to actually be sent? Thanks in advance...
How many people are you sending to? My guess is that ISPs consider a high number of addresses in the "TO" section to be a sign of spam. But if it's in the "BCC" section, then the recipient's mail scanning software doesn't see any other recipients and lets it pass.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drcook345

Post by drcook345 »

DavePeterson wrote:I am a counselor in a stake presidency. Whenever any member of the presidency use s"Send a Message" and check the "Allow recipients to reply to all" checkbox, the consistent result is that we get a confirmation email that the message was sent, but 100% of the time not a single recipient receives the message. This is very consistent behavior. If we don't check that checkbox, delivery works to the intended recipients. Any ideas why that "allow reply all" flag would cause nothing to actually be sent? Thanks in advance...
I want to add our stake as a stake with the same issue President Peterson describes above. I too am a counselor in a stake presidency, and when trying to send email with the "reply to all" feature set to any group the size of the high council (so 10 or more for sure), the message is not delivered to more than one or two at the most. If we leave the "reply to all" feature off, the message is delivered.

We've tried this from many senders to many receivers. There doesn't seem to be any consistency among the email providers, but in every case only one or two get through.

I applaud the changes to the LCR Send a Message function to allow attachments and to customize the recipients. We've been using googlegroups and want to move to the LCR option, but we really need to be able to send messages to a group like our high council or bishoprics that allow cross-view/reply of the groups thoughts. Hoping someone in IT can duplicate, test and find a solution (and/or use the leverage of The Restored Church to encourage the large email vendors to allow our messages through their new filtering systems, if that's where the problem lies). Thanks.

(BTW, we're seeing similar issues with the use of googlegroups as well, though not as restrictive. Only a few of 10 to 15 recipients cannot see the original message. Started about June where some members were not seeing the original message. It really seems some new filtering mechanism that is shared in the world of major email is restricting the send of emails to groups larger than about 10.)

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”