Split Membership data for Children from Split Families

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
dotson98

Split Membership data for Children from Split Families

Post by dotson98 »

Hello-

My wife just shared with me that a Primary President, her presidency is having an extremely difficult time ministering to children who split time between parents. That is because frequently, that child’s membership information resides in the ward of the other parent.

I just submitted Feedback on LDS.org requesting the development of the ability to have that child’s membership information be made available to both wards.

Curious on everyone’s thoughts here?

Dan
eblood66

Re: Split Membership data for Children from Split Families

Post by eblood66 »

There is already at least partial support for this. A ward clerk can create out-of-unit records in Leader and Clerk Resources for children in this situation. When an out-of-unit record has been created the member will show up on attendance rolls and to leaders in LCR. I believe that they will also show up in LDS Tools but I'm not absolutely sure of that. At the current time I think that they do not show up in the Directory on lds.org but that will probably change when they get around to making updates to the directory.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

The challenge there is that parental information isn’t available, or even information on that other ward. The manual legwork to develop a “family profile” is still required. But that is an option.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

All you need is the full name and birth date (or the MRN) of each child. This information is available from the parent's record. The rest of the information will come from the child's membership record. You don't have to know anything about the other ward. However, you should have the permission of the parent in your unit before creating the out-of-unit records.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Ok - I see what you are saying. I will suggest doing that.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

dotson98 wrote:The challenge there is that parental information isn’t available, or even information on that other ward.
Once you have an out-of-unit record the unit where their membership record is will show on his member profile so you can contact the bishop if needed.
mevans

Post by mevans »

You can also give callings to individuals with out-of-unit records. LCR supports it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:You can also give callings to individuals with out-of-unit records. LCR supports it.
Yes, but the bishop needs to contact the bishop of the unit that has the membership record before the calling is extended. (Handbook 2: 19.1.1)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”