How to assign Young Men as ministering companions

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
taftkyleseth1

How to assign Young Men as ministering companions

Post by taftkyleseth1 »

As Elders Quorum secretary, I have been asked to make some changes to our ministering companionships. We want to assign our young men as companions to Elders. I am not able to pull up young men's names to be able to assign them. Can you give me some advice on how to do this? Is what I am trying to do actually possible within the system?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to assign Young Men as ministering companions

Post by russellhltn »

taftkyleseth1 wrote:Is what I am trying to do actually possible within the system?
As long as they're not deacons, you should be able to do that.

One post suggested that you put the Elder's Quorum member in first and then start typing the young man's name and you'll be given options.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
taftkyleseth1

Post by taftkyleseth1 »

I did just what you recommend and am not able to see any names pop up or options available for that particular young man. He was recently sustained to be ordained to the office of teacher. How long might it take before he is in the system? Could that be the problem?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

taftkyleseth1 wrote:Is what I am trying to do actually possible within the system?
If they are ordained teachers or priests, you should have no trouble. Begin typing the last name and they should all appear.

To show the Young Women assigned with Relief Society sisters, you will have to wait until August 1, as the note at Ministering says.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

taftkyleseth1 wrote:He was recently sustained to be ordained to the office of teacher. How long might it take before he is in the system? Could that be the problem?
That is exactly the problem. Has he actually been ordained? Has the ordination been recorded at LCR? After that, it should take no more than 24 hours for his name to appear.
taftkyleseth1

Post by taftkyleseth1 »

Thanks for the help. I will be patient.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

taftkyleseth1 wrote:Thanks for the help. I will be patient.
I think you might wish to ask the ward clerk this Sunday if the young man has been ordained and, if so, has the clerk recorded the ordination. In my experience, most young men are ordained very soon after they are sustained, if not the same day.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

lajackson wrote:
taftkyleseth1 wrote:Thanks for the help. I will be patient.
I think you might wish to ask the ward clerk this Sunday if the young man has been ordained and, if so, has the clerk recorded the ordination. In my experience, most young men are ordained very soon after they are sustained, if not the same day.
And in my experience the ordination frequently takes place in their quorum meeting and the bishopric members often forget to inform the ward clerk it has been done... :)

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”