Membership records for new converts only PARTIALLY created by missions

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
JoelDWard

Membership records for new converts only PARTIALLY created by missions

Post by JoelDWard »

The information on who performed baptisms and confirmations for the 14 convert baptisms in my branch over the last two years was never entered. It is easy to assume based on Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) that a mission office is responsible for entering this data since “A person who is age nine or older is considered a convert… membership records for converts are normally created by missions…”.

The mission office indicated that Once a mission creates a new member record for converts, a ward/branch clerk is to go back and enter the names, birthdates and offices of those who performed the baptism and confirmation prior to printing a certificate.

LCR does not reflect this process for converts nor did I find this process spelled out in Handbook 2 nor in any of the training videos as a clerk which may be why the previous clerks did not do it for converts.

Is this an issue in other church units?

Recommendation: The handbook needs to be more explicit on the convert baptism record-creation process and that that process be included in the training of clerks. The online training videos are a great resource but I haven’t seen this issue particular addressed in them or in church manuals anywhere.
drepouille

Re: Membership records for new converts only PARTIALLY created by missions

Post by drepouille »

We discussed this topic a bit here:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 50#p176512
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”