Attachments Now in Send a Message

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Attachments Now in Send a Message

Post by zaneclark »

I just tried the new attachments feature in Send a Message and It works somewhat, but the placement of the attachments at the end of the message is a little awkward. The attachments are placed in the middle of the announcement at the bottom that states "You received this message because......." Hope they can tinker with it and make it a little smoother...
zaneclark

Re: Attachments Now in Send a Message

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:I just tried the new attachments feature in Send a Message and It works somewhat, but the placement of the attachments at the end of the message is a little awkward. The attachments are placed in the middle of the announcement at the bottom that states "You received this message because......." Hope they can tinker with it and make it a little smoother...
I have just run more tests and the attachments are not in the middle of the closing message, but at the end. Still a little awkward.... Now if they can work on embedding the attachments in the body then we will have a real Newsletter possibility!
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Has anyone figured out a way to change the placement of the attachment? I don't see a way to do this.....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Usually, attachments are just that - attached. They're not part of the text. I have seen some emails where the attachment is placed "inline" where the html references the attachment. Typically done with photos such that a photo can be placed in the middle of the message.

But I'd be a bit surprised if the church went to the trouble of creating an "inline" style of attachment.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Is there a line break after the end of the message? That would make things a little nicer, if the attachment is appending itself onto the same line as the end of the message.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Is there a line break after the end of the message? That would make things a little nicer, if the attachment is appending itself onto the same line as the end of the message.
That might help, but I'd think that's up to the email client as to how it displays the attachment if it's not referenced in the RTF/HTML of the text.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, I'm suggesting that the text of the email footer could include a trailing new line, like this:

Code: Select all

You received this email because you made your email address available to your local Church leaders. It was sent by Gustave Eiffel, whose calling is Ward Architect.

instead of like this:

Code: Select all

You received this email because you made your email address available to your local Church leaders. It was sent by Gustave Eiffel, whose calling is Ward Architect.
That way, if an attachment is appended at the end of the email, it will be appended to the blank line instead of to the line with text.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:That way, if an attachment is appended at the end of the email, it will be appended to the blank line instead of to the line with text.
Assuming the message isn't making any "calls" to the attachment, how it's displayed is up to the email client. Attachments are a completely separate block of the email message. Much like how the header is completely separate from the body of the text. A new line may help some (in my opinion) poorly designed email clients, but that raises the question of what it does to others. Will it create an excessive gap?

I think this probably needs to be looked at with multiple clients/email systems before making a recommendation.

bstone81

Post by bstone81 »

When sending out an email with an attachment to my Ward members, I am not emailed if and when the email goes out. So I don't know if it really went out unless I contact another Ward member and ask if they have received it. -- Bishop Stone
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If you're on the recipient list, you should receive a copy of the message. If you don't have "allow recipients to reply to all" checked, you should also receive a confirmation email when message sending is complete and that will list any addresses that failed.

If you're using some kind of web client (Gmail, possibly Outlook, etc.), it may not show you the message if it decides you are also the sender of the message.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”