No Youth Presidency Access to LCR?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

No Youth Presidency Access to LCR?

Post by mevans »

I was trying to help my son, who is a youth in an Aaronic priesthood presidency, access LCR so he can see the youth to whom his is to minister as a presidency member. I was surprised to see that he was denied access to LCR. Why is this? The youth themselves are the actual called leaders; the adults are advisers. It seems like the youth leaders should be able to access the information about those they are called to serve.
davesudweeks

Re: No Youth Presidency Access to LCR?

Post by davesudweeks »

According to the access table, which is built upon the handbook (as I understand), only the YM presidency have access to these reports. Not the youth presidencies and not the Advisers. The YM presidency can provide the AP quorum presidencies with whatever reports they need to fulfill their callings.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I guess what I'm wondering is why the YM and YW class presidencies don't have some form of LCR access? Reading the sections in Handbook 2, I don't see why the YM or YW (adult) presidencies would have access and the youth presidencies don't have access. Yes, maybe it's more limited access than the adult leaders, but it seems like they ought to be able to see the list of members in their organizations. I think it's also a great opportunity to help train the youth for future church service and missions if we teach them they can go to the tools to get the information they need for their callings. Maybe they'd even teach the advisers how to use the tools :)
mevans

Post by mevans »

I had a thought: one problem might be that the access permissions aren't implemented at sufficient granularity for YM and YW class presidencies. I have another calling in a priesthood quorum and when I change permissions in LCR to that level, I see all organizations, not just my priesthood quorum. Giving that level of access to the YM and YW class presidencies wouldn't be a appropriate. I think all they'd need to see are two reports that are limited to their class/quorum: 1) quorum/class list (with named, address, phone, email), 2) birthday list. Also, the YM youth should be able to see home teaching assignments.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I guess what I'm wondering is why the YM and YW class presidencies don't have some form of LCR access?
I've not heard any explanation, and I'm not sure as we'll get one. This is mostly a user-to-user forum. The issue could be just a development/priority issue (LCR is nowhere near it's final form), or it could be a legal issue with granting minors access to that kind of information on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The way to do this is to obtain a list of members from the YM Presidency and then create a 'list' in LDS Tools making sure to keep the list updated from time-to-time.

There is a simple explanation, in my book (like Russell said). You just don't trust a 12-year-old with the Personal Information of Ward members beyond what by default everyone else sees. I hope you understand that the teenage mind hasn't developed all the way yet and their decision-making processes aren't always the best (get car insurance for a man until they are 25 and you have some idea of the actuary evidence).

It's bad enough when we give this data to adults who treat it carelessly everywhere they go or share it openly with people who don't have access because they think their own judgment is better than the General Authorities who authorize the access lists in the first place.

If you believe this is an error, leave feedback on the bottom of most church web pages.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm not thinking the youth presidencies should have access to much information: just basic information on who they are called to serve (name, address, birthday, phone, email, and for YM, current priesthood office). This information is available to them if they use the directory or LDS Tools (except for priesthood office and birthday); it's just not in a convenient form. I remember we got lists when I was in YM...just a few years ago ;) They were helpful. But there weren't so many privacy concerns in those days, so I could see some things making it difficult.
johnshaw wrote:There is a simple explanation, in my book (like Russell said). You just don't trust a 12-year-old with the Personal Information of Ward members beyond what by default everyone else sees.
Why not teach the youth the sacred nature of their callings and how they need to keep certain information in confidence? Maybe they'll remember those lessons when they're adults. We have plenty of examples of the Lord trusting youth to do some very important things.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

All the "reasons" are speculative. The fact of the matter is, the system does not allow the youth to access this information and since this is a user-to-user support forum, none of us really know why.

There could be any number of reasons, including the requirement to comply with worldwide privacy laws that are in many cases much more restrictive than in the USA, or simply the current level of software development.

The best suggestion is to leave feedback on LDS.org. That is really the only thing you can do to get your voice heard on these matters.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”