"Send a Message" - Custom filtered email lists

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
supermyers

Re: It would be nice to have specific lists for people that don't fit in a neat pre-selected bucket like callings or gen

Post by supermyers »

russellmorgan wrote:We are working on a weekly email list of announcements now that we have transitioned to a 2 hour block and don't have as much time for announcements in Sacrament Meeting and don't have weekly priesthood or YW opening exercises. The problem is, not everyone in the ward wants to be on the list. So we can either select all, then have to go back and delete the members that don't want to be on the list each week, or we can save the list and send the same list each week out of gmail, but it would be static, not dynamic, so any changes made to email addresses or changes in membership wouldn't automatically get picked up.
This is exactly why I was reading this thread. We are sending a weekly email, and I need an easy way to make a list that excludes selected individuals. And new ward members would be automatically added to the list. So it would be kind of an "everyone but certain people" list.
davesudweeks

Re: It would be nice to have specific lists for people that don't fit in a neat pre-selected bucket like callings or gen

Post by davesudweeks »

supermyers wrote:
russellmorgan wrote:We are working on a weekly email list of announcements now that we have transitioned to a 2 hour block and don't have as much time for announcements in Sacrament Meeting and don't have weekly priesthood or YW opening exercises. The problem is, not everyone in the ward wants to be on the list. So we can either select all, then have to go back and delete the members that don't want to be on the list each week, or we can save the list and send the same list each week out of gmail, but it would be static, not dynamic, so any changes made to email addresses or changes in membership wouldn't automatically get picked up.
This is exactly why I was reading this thread. We are sending a weekly email, and I need an easy way to make a list that excludes selected individuals. And new ward members would be automatically added to the list. So it would be kind of an "everyone but certain people" list.
It is my understanding that functionality does not currently exist. Whether or not this is on the list of things to do is unknown (this forum is simply user-to-user tech support and not an official support arm of the church). The only way to get this request to those who set the priorities of the developers is to send feedback from the Send A Message page (or any other page on LCR).

We send out a weekly email blast as well but the Executive secretary does that and I have not heard him express any complaints. We also post it on a private ward facebook page (for those who prefer that to email) and the organizations use other methods (text) for the members who need that. We have some who don't use digital methods so we have to communicate with them in the method they need (they are the customer of the communication, after all). Remember that sending a weekly email is just one of several options that were suggested to consider. None of those options are required. The ward council is responsible to council together and determine the best way to communicate with the ward members.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”